Run Antenna Wire to Radio - 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Run Antenna Wire to Radio - 2002 Explorer

bgross44

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I need to get the antenna wire to the radio. I see where it will connect to the radio inside the car but I am not sure which hole I should try to fish the wire thorough. When I open the passenger door, I see 3 holes (approx. 1 3/4 inch dia.) where it looks like the wire might go. Also, I am not sure where the wire will enter the cab under the dash so do not know where to start trying to poke something through so I may tape it to the antenna wire. I apologize if this is confusing - I am.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the antenna you're trying to run to? The stock location on the front right fender?

If so, run it where the factory antenna wire runs. But why would you need to change the antenna wire? Your stock one should work with aftermarket radios.

It is on the passenger side fender - but the wire broke as I was trying to pull it through so I need to start from scratch. Thank you for replying. Belinda

Yup. You'll need to run the wire through the factory location. Best bet.

That is my dilemma - I do not know which hole is the factory location. Are there any "tricks" for doing any of this? Such as, a tool that might make it easier to find where the wire actually can come into the cab or a picture or drawing that shows any of this? I really appreciate you responding. Thanks.

That is my dilemma - I do not know which hole is the factory location. Are there any "tricks" for doing any of this? Such as, a tool that might make it easier to find where the wire actually can come into the cab or a picture or drawing that shows any of this? I really appreciate you responding. Thanks.

Hmm, can you follow the wire from the radio out? It's probably going through the firewall behind the dash on the passenger side. Somewhere behind the glovebox I believe. I'm not sure where it is on your model.

If you really want to, just drill a hole in the firewall, put in a grommet, and run the wire through that. May be easier if you can't find the original one.

Thanks for the suggestion - the wire from the radio is attached just behind the glove box - all I need to do now is somehow get the wire there from the antenna. I just cannot see how yet - I appreciate your help. Thank you. Belinda

Thanks for the suggestion - the wire from the radio is attached just behind the glove box - all I need to do now is somehow get the wire there from the antenna. I just cannot see how yet - I appreciate your help. Thank you. Belinda

Not sure about an 02, but the antenna wire in most vehicles runs along the inner fender. So you may want to take off the inner fender. It's where it plugs in anyway, so you'll have to later on.

Thanks for the reply. I have the wheel liner off and have pushed aside a foam sound proofing material inside the fender that I could reach through the door opening. I see 3 holes that are of the correct diameter through which to push the antenna cable - my dilemma is which should I use and how do I get the wire through it into the cab? As I use a wire to poke around, it seems to catch on something and I am not sure of the path it should be taking. The antenna wire coming from the radio is positioned nicely, in tact, behind the glove box so that is no problem. I wish there were a picture some where. Thank again for responding.

Hmm, you'll just have to fish it through.
Take pictures so that the next person with this problem will know what to do.
I'd have to be there to see and guide you, since I don't know how it's run in the 3rd gen.

Best of luck. I'm sure you can do it.

Okay thanks. I will go down to the local parts place and ask someone there if they have experience with this situation. Thanks again for responding.

Back