Stupid wiring harness Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stupid wiring harness Question

robtan88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Edie Bauer
Hello. I currently own a 2003 Explorer XLT with the 4.6 Liter v-8 engine in it. I started having little tiny problems here and there that really added up when purchasing parts, so I recently picked up a 2002 Explorer Limited for parts. I bought the Limited really cheap, but the body is quite rusty in spots, and its a very high miler. The Limited Explorer has a ton of really nice option toys like the back up sensors in the rear bumper, power seats, and an awesome sound system compared to the distortion master 6000 series currently in my XLT. I was wondering if the Explorer Limited toys can be transferred into my XLT and would be plug and play, or are the wire harnesses not compatable? Wondering if the wire harnesses have all the correct plugs in the XLT just tucked away to accept such options? Thank you...Rob.
P.S. This is my first post and hope I placed it in the correct spot:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Silver. When I have a moment, I am going to investigate both trucks to see what is comparable. I did some digging here on the forum and did find some info. on the mention that in 1998, the Explorers became more consistant with wires and plugs when it came to audio bundles. So that I took as promising!!. Would like to ad the backup sensors, and power seats if they will work. Would hate to have to install/ transfer a complete chassis wire harness to make things work. That could get ugly fast...Rob.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

To answer you, plug and play.. not so much.
Honestly, it's not worth transferring Stock Audio from one Explorer to another. The harnesses won't match up and it still won't sound as good as a nice aftermarket set up.

As for seats and such, that just needs a power lead with a fuse and a ground.. Those are easy. :)
Backup sensors I assume is just swapping the bumper and running the wiring for it to the original switch. And putting in the speaker for it.

On the back up sensors do this:
1. Remove bumper (either swap or drill holes in yours)
2. Remove or "set aside" right rear quarter panel (I used a block of wood to keep it out, otherwise you'll have to remove the second row seat belt to fully remove it.)
3. From donor vehicle, unplug and remove backup sensor module, place module in same spot in your Ex.
You'll need to undo your wiring harness (unplug from inside, pull through tail light area and remove sheathing. You'll need to splice in the ground and the reverse light power.) that said, I used an Aviator setup, with an Ex donor, you may be able to just swap the whole harness.
4. Remove the kick panel under the steering wheel. Either use the one from the donor, or cut a whole in yours for the rear sensor kill switch. The harness for the kill switch will be plugged into the kick panel, so you'll know where the switch would be mounted. If you don't do this step, if you tow and reverse, it'll get really annoying.

Ford uses jumper cables, lucky us at times. The kill switch and reverse sensor module are plug and play. The sensors are the only items that have to be wired for power and ground. Hopefully you can just use the donor wiring.

Back