2006 Mercury Mountaineer won't come out of park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Mercury Mountaineer won't come out of park

tracihenn

Reaction score
I'm new to these forums and found it searching for a resolution to my problem. Every once in awhile I've had a problem getting the shifter out of park. But the frequency has increased lately. It's increased so much that it happened three times last week and today. Last Friday the car sat all day at work. I couldn't get it out of park. I can hear clicking in the steering column as I press the button. There was finally a louder click and I was able to put it in gear. Today I drove it home from work. Fifteen minutes later I went out to leave again, heard the clicking but it would not shift. It sat for about 30 minutes and was fine. The brake lights are functional. I've searched the forums here and can't find any other suggestions. I called my mechanic who didn't have other suggestions (and he's a Ford person). He then showed up at my house to investigate the car (he's great like that). When he got in, he started it and was able to shift.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Traci

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm new to these forums and found it searching for a resolution to my problem. Every once in awhile I've had a problem getting the shifter out of park. But the frequency has increased lately. It's increased so much that it happened three times last week and today. Last Friday the car sat all day at work. I couldn't get it out of park. I can hear clicking in the steering column as I press the button. There was finally a louder click and I was able to put it in gear. Today I drove it home from work. Fifteen minutes later I went out to leave again, heard the clicking but it would not shift. It sat for about 30 minutes and was fine. The brake lights are functional. I've searched the forums here and can't find any other suggestions. I called my mechanic who didn't have other suggestions (and he's a Ford person). He then showed up at my house to investigate the car (he's great like that). When he got in, he started it and was able to shift.

Many thanks,
Traci

Welcome ! A quick search for "shifter stuck" would have directed you to this topic -

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174666&highlight=shifter+stuck

This sounds like a pretty common problems with the 4th generation explorers.

Yes, there is a TSB on this for the year, they will replace the safety switch.

And how do TSBs working with the dealership if your warranty has already expired? Can I push the issue to have them fix the problem since it's a known problem even though my warranty expired?

thanks again,
Traci

MY 06 EB had the same problem, dealer shifter under warranty and problem fixed. Dealer told me this had been a problem in the 2006 model year. If your car is out of warranty, call Ford and see if they will do anything for you.

Out of warranty out of luck unless its a recall. I think its like a $150-200 part plus labor.

In case of an emergency pick up the little rubber piece in the bottom of the cup holder, and under there will be a place to stick a small flat screwdriver and its the mechanical release to the shifter interlock.

I've noticed this when I stop to get out of the truck and reach in my mailbox and get back in the truck. I find I have to step on the brake several times before I can get the shifter out of park. Is this the symptom of the problem being discussed here? (I was thinking this could be dangerous in an urban environment where you have to make a quick getaway from some thugs.)

2002 mercury mountaineer won't shift out of park

Many thanks,
Traci

Back