• Register Today It's free!

Land Cruiser vs Explorer???

jay3253

Reaction score
City, State
Ames, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Ok, so I really really wanted a '97 TLC but as it happened I got a kinda free (going to have to get married for it but I'm ok with that cuz I really really lover her :salute:) Explorer 2000 XLT going to make it an Expo truck. So anyway need some help with some questions I have developed while researching the differences and similarities.

1. Both are approximately the same size yet the Explorer is nearly a ton lighter?
2. Both have the same size tires and wheels yet the TLC has 11.4" Ground Clearance and the X has just 6.7" how can this be and is there anything that can be done about this?
3. I know you can only get about 2" from the TT and rear shackles but is there anything I can take off the bottom of the truck that will improve this more?
4. When I start adding all my Expo stuff on how do I increase carrying capacity of my X suspension?

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You really love the Explorer, or your girl?....lol

80 series TLCs are great vehicles. There is a ton more aftermarket support for them compared to the Explorer as well. I think the worst thing about them is the gas mileage, which is absolutely horrible!

Answers to your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1. One reason the MPGs suffer on the TLC
2. Suspension design on TLCs are geared more towards off-road. The fixes for the Explorer would be to lift it so you can get the bigger tires under there which increases the ground clearance.
3. Nope, the control arms and leaf spring pads are what hinder the ground clearance.
4. There are different stiffness torsion bars that you can get for the front. The rear can be modified to handle the extra load either by an add-a-leaf or custom leaf spring packs.

If you haven't already, check out expeditionportal.com as that site is geared towards the expedition style rigs. There are a ton of TLCs on there, and I think 2 explorers...

Welcome to the site. :afro:

I am on Expedition Portal and that is way I wanted an80 but I really love the truck I mean the girl. I get an X and find almost no one who is using the X as an Expo vehical. But I will stay searching here and else where for Expo X information.

Can I cut out the wheel wells a little and where is the torque bar codes so I can tell which TB I would need?

That will give him some more ground clearance.
Expedition style rigs aren't usually lifted very high, for getting in or out and your supplies from the vehicle. Plus, without a "proper lift" for the front, you can't match the height of the rear.

Can I cut out the wheel wells a little and where is the torque bar codes so I can tell which TB I would need?
You can cut and hit as much as you want.

Look on the door sticker for the code.
First letter is for the torsion bars the second one is for the leaf springs.

B=Stiffest
D
E
F
G
H
J
L=Softest

5.5 wouldn't be too much, considering how low they sit stock. Plus, then he would only have to worry about the front.

Anyways, good luck:thumbsup:

Not trying to get to a TLC but I am trying to get as much out of an X as humanly possible without breaking the bank...

The best bet to not break the bank is TT/shackles, and cut the fenders up, run 33's and get a locker for the rear if you are in funds.

You can also get a body lift to make it easier to put on larger tires. Welcome to the site, it's always nice to see another Iowan on here.

Back