• Register Today It's free!

What remote starter should I get?

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an '06 X xls 4L, and am considering getting a remote starter and there seems to be a million of them out there and also several options available. I know Ford makes 3 of them 7L2Z, 7L3Z, and 7L5Z-19G364-AA. Please help me cut to the chase. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could go with one that comes with a car alarm. Are you interested in upgrading the stock alarm? (if you have one).

you need the 7l2z 19g364 aa kit. it is a one button remote start works along woth the factory keyless remote. also comes with the bypass for the chip key. kit is mostly plug and play. need to tap a few wires- pk lites, brake, and dome light. horn optional and ground it. thats it.

Thanks. Yes, all I'm looking to do is install the minimum. Not looking to upgrade the security system. Do you know if the Ford 7L2Z....comes with instructions?

The dealerships sell remote starters made by Code Alarm. I found a thread where someone recommended http://www.autoalarmpro.com/. They sell Code Alarm remote starters that are specifically wired for your vehicle type with custom directions. You're paying a premium for the custom wiring and instructions, but it's probably still around what the dealerships are charging.

I ordered the Code Alarm CA-530 VSS with the bypass kit required for the Ford PATS for right around $200.00. This is one of their higher end kits that replaces the existing key fob to give you increased range. You can also order add on starters that use your existing keyfobs.

I'll let you know how the install goes when I get it.

Thanks for the info. I checked out the Codealarm site. I'm still trying to figure out which starter I need. I sent them an email....maybe they can help me sort it out. Definitely let me know how the install goes. Looks like we have similar vehicles. Mine is an 06 xls. What is the PATS you mentioned?

PATS is Ford's Passive Anti-Theft System. It is the system that will only allow your truck to start when the chip in your key is present. Any remote starter will have to either work with or bypass the PATS system. Cheaper remote starters will bypass it, thus rendering it useless. Better systems, like the Code Alarm, have a module that needs to be programmed with both your keys, and then it retains the code so the remote starter can start your vehicle without the key present.

Older remote starter systems required a third key that was left in the vehicle, but the newer devices are programmed with the key and don't require the key to be left behind.

That's my understanding of PATS. When I ordered my Code Alarm remote starter, I ordered the Ford-specific module that I'll install and program with my two keys. We'll see how it goes!

ETA: autoalarmpro's tech support seems very helpful when you call them, and they should be able to tell you exactly what you need.

That is false you CAN NOT render it to make it useless any more. No remote start will bypass pats for you. You need to install a module to do the bypass. these bypasses ONLY work wile on the remote start.

Any one of these are the bypass modules REQUIRED for a remote start installation:
http://www.bypasskit.com/wizard.aspx?vehiclemake=Ford&modelid=Explorer&yearid=2006

Besides these modules, the only other way to do the bypass is hiding a key in the truck with putting it in a "coffin" box. what this box does is ONLY when the remote start is activated it picks up the RF signal from the key and sends it to the ignition cylinder, through a tiny wire that gets wrapped around the cylinder.

The bypass modules however get hardwired into the factory pats wiring, and need two keys to program them, but none for the opperation.

I have been a professional installer for 10+ years. I personally would stay away from the over priced "factory" code alarm add-ons. Their range is nothing compared to an aftermarket. I have seen it where you can only be like 100ft away from the car and they dont work. Most aftermarket ones start at 1000ft and go up from there.

Hell mine i can opperate from a phone. I call a 1-800 number and use a phone (anywhere in the world) to do my remote functions. I never have to worry about range.

The dealerships sell remote starters made by Code Alarm. I found a thread where someone recommended http://www.autoalarmpro.com/. They sell Code Alarm remote starters that are specifically wired for your vehicle type with custom directions. You're paying a premium for the custom wiring and instructions, but it's probably still around what the dealerships are charging.

I ordered the Code Alarm CA-530 VSS with the bypass kit required for the Ford PATS for right around $200.00. This is one of their higher end kits that replaces the existing key fob to give you increased range. You can also order add on starters that use your existing keyfobs.

I'll let you know how the install goes when I get it.

JDC,
I know your post is from a while ago, but how has it been working since you got the Remote Start installed? We just got a 2006 Explorer XLT and the boss/wife would like to add remote start to make these cold NJ mornings a little less cold.

1. How has the system been working for you? Any bugs that had to be worked out?
2. Was the install plug and play? Or did it require cutting and splicing of wires?
3. Any other tips you might have for someone trying to follow in your footsteps? Anything you wish you did first? Or would have done differently?

I am an EE and am comfortable around wiring. I also have pulled a dash or two apart over the years, so I am not a novice to car electronics.....I just want to gain some idea of how much work it will be for me to install.

Thanks
Ron

hey- i can help you out. i am an installer for the local area ford dealers. I can get you the parts and help you install it your self or install it for you. let me know.

hey- i can help you out. i am an installer for the local area ford dealers. I can get you the parts and help you install it your self or install it for you. let me know.

Thanks for the reply. Where are you from? I am from northern NJ.

Any assistance is always greatly appreciated.

Ron

ron-

im from rockland but work in northern jersey. i can help you with whatever you need. let me know what you would like to do.

JDC,
I know your post is from a while ago, but how has it been working since you got the Remote Start installed? We just got a 2006 Explorer XLT and the boss/wife would like to add remote start to make these cold NJ mornings a little less cold.

1. How has the system been working for you? Any bugs that had to be worked out?
2. Was the install plug and play? Or did it require cutting and splicing of wires?
3. Any other tips you might have for someone trying to follow in your footsteps? Anything you wish you did first? Or would have done differently?

I am an EE and am comfortable around wiring. I also have pulled a dash or two apart over the years, so I am not a novice to car electronics.....I just want to gain some idea of how much work it will be for me to install.

Thanks
Ron

Ron,

Sorry I'm just getting back to you in this thread. Overall, I'd rate the remote start installation and functionality a C+. If I had to do it again, I'd just buy the basic remote start add on and use the separate key fob for remote start, and not buy the kit that is meant to entirely replace the factory fob.

The VSS kit I got from autoalarmpro.com had everything I needed for the installation, and the directions were good. I had some questions that were usually answered within a half a day from their tech support. The installation of these remote starters, especially the one I bought which replaces the factory fobs altogether and increases the range, are pretty intrusive. I've installed multiple electronic devices on my motorcycle, and installed a new head unit, XM radio, and an additional power adapter on my Ex, and this was by far the most difficult electronics install I've done.

There are several connections under the dash, in the steering column, under the interior lighting panel, and in the wiring bundle in the drivers door. The instructions from autoalarmpro walked through these connections about as well as any instructions could. Testing all the wires as they say is VERY important, because sometimes the colors don't match up, and often colored pairs are used for multiple different functions, so the green/white wire you find might not be the right green/white wire you're looking for once you test it. My installation took a full 8 hours. I made the mistake of installing the unit outside in 20 degree temperatures, which probably added 1-2 hours to the install once my hands went numb.:)

I have two minor issues and one major issue with the unit. The first minor issue is, I really didn't benefit much from the increased range of the unit I installed. Because I installed new fobs and a new antenna, I guess my expectations were that I'd get a much greater range for the remote start. Going from the stock 500 ft range to the 1000 ft range really isn't all that much of an improvement, and parking garages usually negate the increased range. Often when you've parked out of 500 ft range, you've also parked out of 1000 ft range, especially if you're in a parking garage.

More importantly, the major frustrating issue that I haven't resolved yet has to do with waking up the Ford GEM module. As installed with the autoalarmpro.com directions, there are times when the key fobs will not unlock the doors of the truck unless it has been started by the remote start. In these situations, when I don't need to start the truck but need to get something out of it, I have to use the key or the keypad to unlock the truck. It is pretty frustrating if you want to get something out of the tailgate, etc. The situation occurs any time the doors are locked, via the fob or the interior door lock button, BEFORE the doors are closed. If I close the doors and lock the truck via the key fob, the situation doesn't occur.

I've tried to resolve this with autoalarmpro.com's help, but haven't cracked the code on it yet. autoalarmpro.com sent me an additional cable with directions to install it that was supposed to allow for the GEM to "wake up" when I hit the unlock button, but I couldn't find 2 of the 3 wires I needed to install the new cable. The tech said he was going to look into it more, and that I may need to install a relay into the system to accomplish this function. He also recommended I contact CodeAlarm directly for recommendations for a possible resolution. I haven't contacted them yet and haven't really followed up with autoalarmpro.com to completely resolve this, so I'm as much at fault as anyone for not having this resolved yet. Right now I deal with it by remembering to close the door first then lock them with the keyfob so the fobs remain functional.

The second minor issue is related to this. I will often lock my keys in the truck when I go running or biking, and use the keypad to get back in. If I use the keypad to unlock the doors and then grab my keys and don't hit the unlock/disarm button on the keyfob, the alarm goes off when I try to start the truck. Although this is avoidable and I just need to hit the unlock button on the fob even though I'm sitting in an unlocked truck, it's still pretty annoying, especially when I forget about this and set the alarm off while trying to start my truck.

Hope this info helps. Have you decided on an option yet?

JDC

ron-

im from rockland but work in northern jersey. i can help you with whatever you need. let me know what you would like to do.

cmk0808,

Small world, I grew up in southern Bergen County (Lyndhurst). I'll actually be up there this weekend visiting family.

How do you address the GEM wakeup when installing aftermarket CodeAlarm units? Is there some simple connections I can make to resolve the issue I noted in my post above? Seems like there should be a simple fix.

Thanks,
JDC

If I remember right theres two different ways the gem will "wake up". By disarming the Fact. Alarm or opening a door. I belive you can just tie a wire in to one of your door trigger wires to energize it so the car will think a door is open. Theres another way to do it buy requires wiring a relay with a diode which pretty much will do the same thing.

r/s

all doors, hood must be shut

1. turn ign to on but doo not start

2. press unlock on door 3 times

3. turn ign off but do not remove key

4. press unlock on door 3 times

5. turn on ign on do not start.

hear one chirp hit lock switch 2x horn chirp twice

turn ign off and try it out.

look here :
http://www.installz.com/get.php

i personally like viper... i've had a viper system in my truck for 5 yrs w/o any problems... works great will start from long distances... so imo go w/ a viper system

all doors, hood must be shut

1. turn ign to on but doo not start

2. press unlock on door 3 times

3. turn ign off but do not remove key

4. press unlock on door 3 times

5. turn on ign on do not start.

hear one chirp hit lock switch 2x horn chirp twice

turn ign off and try it out.

look here :
http://www.installz.com/get.php

WORKS! Just did it and tested is a few time. You're THE MAN. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

06 Explorer Aftermarket Alarm Troubles

CMK0808,
Do you know how much draw should be on my battery whaen the vehicle is off? Alarm dealer says there's a draw and that"s why the Prestige alarm/remote start keeps draining my battery.

Thanks,
STL14

Back