• Register Today It's free!

Changing Spark Plugs

MrTeeThyme

Reaction score
City, State
Wake Forest, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ST Ltd
Is there a secret to accessing/changing the # 3 plug? I can't get my hands on it due to the a/c and heater components.

Thanks,

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes it's easier to pull off the passenger side wheel, pull back the fender liner and remove the plug through the wheel well.

Thanks.

I finished the job and removing the wheel really helped with # 2 and # 3. They were actually the easiest because it was easier to get the new plugs in. The hardest part of the job was getting the new plugs started. I used a boot off an old wire but there wasn't a lot of room to turn them to get them started.

How often should we change plugs? Every 100,000 miles or so?

How often should we change plugs? Every 100,000 miles or so?

The factory ones can go 100,000 miles which are iridium plugs. So if you replace them with iridium than 100,000. If you replace them with double platinum plugs which is more cost effective than about 60,000 miles.

The factory ones can go 100,000 miles which are iridium plugs. So if you replace them with iridium than 100,000. If you replace them with double platinum plugs which is more cost effective than about 60,000 miles.

Thanks, I've got about 20,000 miles left but I get Motorcraft at cost so I just need to find a free weekend and I'll do a full maintenance tear down. :D

Thanks.

I finished the job and removing the wheel really helped with # 2 and # 3. They were actually the easiest because it was easier to get the new plugs in. The hardest part of the job was getting the new plugs started. I used a boot off an old wire but there wasn't a lot of room to turn them to get them started.

Sometimes it helps to get a piece of hose that fits snugly on the insulator and use that to screw in the spark plugs. I like to put a little dielectric grease in the plug boots and antiseize on the threads.

Gray Boot

What is the significance of 1 gray plug wire boot and why is it on # 3?

Back