Everything you wanted to know about: "Memory Seats" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Everything you wanted to know about: "Memory Seats"

any chance you could help with a 2011+?

I have a 2011 XLT. it has the 6-way power seat.

what would it take on the 2011 to add memory? I am guessing it would be similar to the others, but want to be sure.

can you help with similar diagrams, part no's, etc?

thanks

Find a wiring diagram for a Limited model that would come with that option, and from that locate the memory seat module. You would have to get the module, and the seat motors from a memory seat. Those are the most unique parts that you must have. The switch is not hard to buy or deal with, but the rest of the wiring is ideally taken from an existing vehicle with the option.

The number or wires should be similar, though models that also had memory mirrors would also have a bunch for those also. If the mirrors were part of the feature they may be no big deal to leave out, but the extra wires to add them would be trouble considering they all go through the dash. I'd avoid the mirrors if they happen to be part of the memory system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Almost same problem...

I am actually working on an issue I believe to be the module. This is a 1996 version of memory seat. The self tests all pass. Everything checks out. The LED on the module flashes the correct code...5 and 2 I believe. The LED on the set switch flashes as well. Yet it will no longer allow me to set the memory. I've had an intermittent issue in the past with this, but now when I push 'set', I get no light...and there are no positions stored. Of course, the seat won't move when you hit 1 or 2. The seat moves fine otherwise. All wires check out. (I had it all apart and checked for continuity of all circuits)

Hi CobraGuy - I've got a similar problem in my 96 LTD. The pos1 and pos2 switches will set the seat to the correct position, but I want to change the memorized position for #2 . I hold down #2 but the LED does not come on and it won't set a new position. In fact the LED does not come on any time. So the seat works normally using either the buttons or the key fobs, but I can't change the position in memory. There is nothing in the service manual to troubleshoot this condition. Anyone have any clues what might be going on?

Thanks in advance.
B

I solved mine...it was the module. I had a helluva time finding the correct module...but finally obtained one. Tossed it in and no more issues. I was actually surprised because I would have bet the farm it was a loose or broken wire.

If I were you, I would find a module for your model and see if that fixes it. That shouldn't be hard to find as memory seats were a lot more common in cars than the Explorer. (Limited only) Make sure you match up the application and numbers exactly. If that doesn't fix it, then you can round up a factory wiring manual and start tracing circuits. I hate to have you start with the module, but after all I went through tracing circuits, I wish I had. They aren't a lot of money...and I'd bet it's your issue by the sound of things. I will say this...the factory manual will have a way to test the switch. You might want to try that first...or throw in a new switch. I'd bet it's that or the module.

One last thing...is there a possibility that a pop can or other piece of trash got jammed up under the seat that could have damaged the module or wiring?

Thanks for the guidance Cobraguy. I looked carefully under the seat and everything looks like new under there (except for some dust). I've been unable to find the self test white button using a mirror and flashlight and have been a little reluctant to pull the seat. Do you know if the white button is reachable without pulling the seat? I figure if I push it and the led blinks on the memory switch in the door, at least it tells me that the led in the switch is still attached. I think it will be rare to find a 96 explorer ltd in a pull-apart junkyard these days. Where did you find yours?

Not all of the memory modules have an external fuse, or button. I'm not sure when they changed. I have a 93 module running in my 99(wiring is all the same). The 98 I think is when they changed to the seat tracks with an aluminum frame, which affects which seat motors it uses.

You should be able to use almost any Explorer memory module from at least 1993-2001, maybe more later on also. The wiring connectors are the same, except that 99+ will also have heating wiring, but the module connectors remain the same. So I'd find any model you can, and get the module for sure, the wiring harnesses, and the motors if you can.

I'm hoping to get a 98 set of parts tomorrow, if the truck is still there and I can get the seat out.

bb56...I apologize. When you said you had an LTD...I thought you meant the car...not a Limited Explorer.

Ok...Let me add to Don's latest with what I have found out. All the modules I found that fit a 1996 have the white button. Yours should too...but I wouldn't dispute Don's findings for a moment. He's done a lot of this. Honestly, it's about a 10 minute job to unbolt the seat and tip it back so you can see under there. You should be able to leave the wiring connected so you aren't screwing around with the airbags as well. My car tested fine with the ol' button test...yet the module was bad.

Another little twist. Somewhere along the line (2001 I think...but don't quote me) Ford switched over the memory seat modules to a newer version. They DO NOT interchange. Not even close. (ask me how I know) It was a mid year running change. Among other things, the way it sees neutral is different and the connectors are different.

I hope this helps.

The early models like 93/94 Limited's have a couple of tiny bolts holding the module to the seat metal. The later versions just have plastic push pins holding them.

Find one which at the very least matches the connectors, which there are several on the units. Those as mentioned have a very good chance of working for any 93-01 Explorer, plus the other like body styles which used similar wiring circuits(easy retrofits).

I'm home very early today, hopefully I can get the parts from the 98 Limited they had, plus a 97 Town Car left mirror(auto dimming). I need to find a 95-97 TC with memory seats, they will be going into my 91 Mark VII.

1996 Explorer LTD - no selft test button?

Don and Cobraguy:

I tilted the seat back and still found no push button. It is essentially a black housing with white sides that holds what looks like 3 motors. It says MEMORY on a sticker on one end and the green QA inspector label has 2/14/96 on it.

Other numbers on the MEMORY label are 8-71258 and 5709460 N2 S023

I took a picture but can't figure out how to upload it.(maybe this:
2014-07-07%2015.48.45.jpg

It all seems to work except I can't set it. I checked the fuses in the side panel and they are good. My next step will be to take the door apart and jumper the set switch to see if it is the switch...

Thanks for the insights to both of you.

B

Pictures would help too. I've never seen the 95-96 or 97 Limited memory seat parts, I figured they would be the same parts as either the 93/94, or 98-01's. The seat tracks changed for 1998 I think, so it's not clear what else was changed by Ford.

The memory switch itself is simple to unplug and swap or check, behind the door panel of course. Keep at it, a poor connection is still the most likely issue.

memory module picture

Thanks Don.
I tried to post a picture, but I guess it didn't work (It was a link to my shared dropbox photo). Now it is in a public folder and it works!
I'll try the door switch this week on a rainy day - I'm working on painting my house on the nice days. :p

Don and Cobraguy:

I tilted the seat back and still found no push button. It is essentially a black housing with white sides that holds what looks like 3 motors. It says MEMORY on a sticker on one end and the green QA inspector label has 2/14/96 on it.

Other numbers on the MEMORY label are 8-71258 and 5709460 N2 S023

I took a picture but can't figure out how to upload it.(maybe this:
2014-07-07%2015.48.45.jpg

It all seems to work except I can't set it. I checked the fuses in the side panel and they are good. My next step will be to take the door apart and jumper the set switch to see if it is the switch...

Thanks for the insights to both of you.

B

That's the motor set only, the memory version like that has two wiring connectors going to it.

Thanks for the picture, that tells me that the aluminum seat track began in 1996 or possibly 1995.

The memory seat control module is mounted higher up than the motors, look some more and follow the wires all to the module.

Good news and bad news

Good news: I found the memory module directly above the motor module between it and the seat cushion. It's a 6 x 8 black rectangle with 3 connectors. I couldn't see it until I "raised" the front of the seat using the push button control on the side of the seat.

Bad news: I could not find a self test button. Seems to me that the test is likely what is written on page one...push the Set switch and count the led flashes. Well I don't even get one flash - the LED never comes on.

The door memory switch checks out including the LED. I checked the harness connections under the seat and found nothing unexpected. I don't really want to do the major surgery of removing the seat tracks to get the memory module out unless I have a clear plan -or- find another module.
I've not found a memory module on the internet, but I have yet to visit the local pull-a-part yard. So thanks in advance if you have any other ideas what to try next and thanks for your help.

BTW, the aluminum track allows the seat to get very close to the steering wheel, but not very far back. I'm 5-9 and am against the rear stops to feel comfortable. What do 6' tall people do?

You found it, that's good. I don't know how that unit gets tested besides reading the shop manual some more to see if there are different versions.

To take it all apart, you most easily take the four floor bolts out, and then the four which go directly straight up into the seat at the corners of the seat track. The wiring connectors are often hard to separate, go at those carefully to avoid jabbing or gouging yourself if you get rough with them. That's why having the whole thing out helps, get it flipped over to work on it better.

The seat should move back far enough to begin jamming against the rear seat headrests(back seat folded down(99 model at least)).

heated seat trouble shooting

Hi guys, im trying to troubleshoot my heated seats 2000 explorer EB, and have discovered something strange.

my LB/WH wire 30A hot at all times is only supplying about 5-7 volts to both seats. The only thing I can think of that would cause this is resistance from corrosion ... am I missing something else?

I have inspected the wires back to both kick panels and haven't seen anything suspect like corrosion etc. at a plug or splice.

The diagram I have shows a splice S312 on wire 1048, however I have no idea where it is. I would have thought it would be in the dash area .... but on the passenger side door sill there are two LB/WH wires. One that runs to the passenger seat and one that continues with the harness to the rear of the vehicle.

For factory equipped vehicles the splice is located in the passenger rocker/door sill between the seat and the kick panel. As suspected the splice was heavily corroded and actually broke in half when I tried to remove the factory tape.

Question? I have a 93 XLT power mirrors & windows, but non powered seats. I found an empty fuse space in the fuse panel under the hood & I also found what I believe to be the harness for powered seats coming from under the dash just left of center if you are facing the front of the vehicle from inside. This harness does have a large diameter dark green wire with a constant 12 volts constant. Haven't checked to see if any of the wires are 12 volts switched yet. Should this be the harness for powered seats for a 93? I have a good set of leather seats out of a 99 Limited with about 16" of pigtail for each. I am installing & these in my 93 & was wondering how much of this existing wiring harness I can utilize? I am unsure if they are heated seats or not. I am also going to be installing the 99 limited door panels. What are your thoughts?

Your seats should also have the memory feature. So you have some wiring to do. You will need to add the memory switch to your door as well. I have no idea what harness you have under your dash, but I would be surprised if it's the harness for the seats.

What you need to do is get the FACTORY wiring manual for a 99 and wire in your seats using it. You will need to hustle up the proper connectors from a pull a part yard, or you can usually find them new from the Motorcraft pigtail catalog. (VERY spendy) This is a daunting task...but one I've done a few times, so don't get overwhelmed. Follow the manual religiously and you should be fine.

Do the DSM,s for a 2000 model have to be programmed for the car or a just a direct swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What an informative article. OUTSTANDING !!!

Back