Front wheel bearing replacement on a 2004 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel bearing replacement on a 2004 Explorer.

mm34033

Reaction score
HI ALL
New to the sight i hope someone can help as my explorer is out of order
i am trying to replace left front wheel bearing hub assembly on my 2004
rear wheel drive explorer it is a xlt none of the pictures on this sight look like mine i have no retaining nut holding on the roter just the housing for the caliper so as soon as you take the brakes off the truck you can slide the roter right off the hub assembly everyone else seems to gave a retaining nut now 3 bolts is all it takes to take the bearing housing off that seems normal AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG IS MY EXPLORER MISSING SOMETHING or is it different please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

two wheel drive no nut, its actually for the front half-shaft which you don't have.
Yours should be a piece of cake, hopefully.

you're OK.... I did both front wheel bearing hub assemblies on my 2002 Exp XLT (rear-wheel drive) with reference to this link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165429

and just ignoring the part about the axle nut. I did have to buy a 1/2" breaker bar and 15mm socket to get the three bolts off.

You may want to consider doing the right hub while you're at it....

you're OK.... I did both front wheel bearing hub assemblies on my 2002 Exp XLT (rear-wheel drive) with reference to this link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165429

and just ignoring the part about the axle nut. I did have to buy a 1/2" breaker bar and 15mm socket to get the three bolts off.

You may want to consider doing the right hub while you're at it....

The guide you posted is for 2nd gen explorers.

There is a better guide, for 3rd gen's (2002-2005) on replacing front hub assemblies, here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194002&highlight=front+bearing

Thanks guys got the job done the truck drives better then when i first bought it i allways thought that the tires were humming but all along it must have been that bearing
well got it all done thanks for the help
NOW THE TRUCK IS TO QUITE HA HA

Hey Potroast, thanks for the updated link for the 3rd-gen Exp's. I read the whole thing, didn't see anything about 2wd's; but now I sure am glad I bought the 2wd vice the the 4x4. Bolt-cutting & torches? Maybe I lucked out, but when I did my front hubs I didn't have the metric sockets and just picked up a 10-15mm extended (3") set from Sears which was on sale. No problems at all like those mentioned in that link. The 3 bolts came out pretty easy (with a 1/2" breaker bar), no real access problems; easy to disconnect/reconnect the sensor cable from underneath. I bought the Exp new in 2002, didn't see a need for 4x4 since I'm in flatland (FL) with no plans to take the family car swamp-riding. But I got the V8 and towing package since I planned to tow the sailboat; short story is that I soon sold the sailboat and have towed one trailer once in 7 years..... but now I can finally pat myself on the back for choosing the 2wd, since it was apparently much easier to change the hubs on my 2wd than on a 4x4. I've got about 30K miles on the new hubs, they're still running nice and quiet, but maybe I should knock on wood while I'm patting myself on the back (and try not to trip at the same time)

I just changed my front right wheel bearing today and the job was much easier than some of the people on here. I have 4x4 and didn't need to pry anything(hub slid right off after taking all the bolts out) didn't need to take the steering arm off(not really sure why anyone would?) and all in all, took about 1.5 hrs taking my time with simple hand tools. So anyone around Kansas City, KS that wants help changing a wheel bearing, I'll be glad to help;)

But here's the problem. When driving the ex before the swap, I got a nice loud humming noise that seemed to get worse every other day. When I would turn to the left while going about 30mph, the humming would get much louder and you can feel the fine vibration in the steering wheel. Turn to the right and nothing. So I figured front right wheel bearing. Replaced it today and went for a spin. Exact same problem as before, so I made a video to show the sound and I'm hoping someone can point me to the problem. It's hard for me to believe it's the rear because I feel it in the steering wheel, but anythings possible. I will update this as soon as the video uploads onto my photobucket account. Seems like it's taking its sweet time:(

Edit:Here's the vid, sorry for the wait. Any help is appreciated!!!

Didn't read through the whole thing, but I think the summary is "I think I have a bad wheel bearing and replaced it but the problem did not go away".

When you rotated the old removed bearing was it rough and grindy?

You may have replaced the wrong one - happens all the time. Since the system is all tied together any bad bearing is hard to isolate to one side or the other.

That's why I replaced both sides when I did mine. Problem fixed.

I should have put cliff notes on my post:D But yeah, replaced the right front bearing and the problem is still there. No it didn't really make any noise and I tried moving both wheels when jacked up with no luck. I thought the idea was when you turned left and the noise got louder, that it was the right front wheel bearing?(and vice versa) Guess that can't work everytime:( I am going to mess with the left bearing and see what's up.

Quick question, my front driver side bearing is bad. Can I just replace the bearing or do I need to do the entire hub?

Quick question, my front driver side bearing is bad. Can I just replace the bearing or do I need to do the entire hub?

The front wheel bearings are sealed units; therefore, no bearing replacement is possible. You have to buy and replace the entire hub. Yeah, I know - plug and play car parts.

I guess the link isnt gonna work its from auto parts warehouse Timkin Part Number: TMSP470201 Manufacturer Number: SP470201 $171.91

I would def go with OEM or Timkin. There are some cheap arftermarket ones out there that others have warned about.

Of course, the OEM ones that came on our Ex's were not that durable it turns out.

I don't know of any high mileage Ex's that have NOT had thier wheel bearings replaced.

limited 02. figure the issue out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

limited 02. figure the issue out?

Yup, left wheel bearing was the culprit:D So if anyone wants advice, replace both at the same time and be done with it.

Back