2002 explorer tranny help please

GoldMax99

Reaction score
City, State
miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Hi

I just fixed the infamous broken shifter and now this happens. The car has 200k miles so I guess it was expected. The OD light is blinking, DTC code P0733, and it's having trouble engaging 3rd gear. The gear will engage if I release the accelerator for a short period. I took it to my mechanic and he quoted $2000 for a new transmission. No way I can afford that. I have read here that it could be the bands, the solenoid or the servos. I'm willing to give it a shot but I need some guidance. What should I check first and how do I do it? Please note that I don't have a lift but I do have a jack with 4 jack stands. Don't think I feel comfortable dropping the whole transmission though.

Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please can someone provide some guidance. My wife is still driving the car around, but I would like to fix it before the truck leaves her stranded on the road.

The code is a gear ratio code for 3rd gear, 3rd gear is the intermediate band. This band can break, a way to check for a broken band is to check the band adjustment for the intermediate band. Loosen the 3/4 band adjustment jamb nut and turn in the adjustment bolt. If it turns in more than 3 turns the band is broken. A broken band can only be replaced by disassembling the transmission.

Thanks for helping. If it is a broken band is it possible for it to shift into 3rd by taking foot off accelerator? At the moment its still shifting into third but it requires that trick.

If you are sure it does have some 3rd gear it is possible that the servo piston that applies the band could be cracked or a bad lip seal. You can remove the servo from underneath, the intermediate servo is the one towards the rear.

If you are sure it does have some 3rd gear it is possible that the servo piston that applies the band could be cracked or a bad lip seal. You can remove the servo from underneath, the intermediate servo is the one towards the rear.

Yes it still has a 3rd gear. I get into it by removing foot from gas pedal for a couple seconds and applying it softly again. Is there a way to know if it's a servo or a solenoid?

I would think the servo will be where the problem is at, the servo piston molded lip seals can fail and the servo itself can crack. I doubt its a solenoid problem,

crap now the problem is getting worse. now it wont shift into reverse. Anyone live in the northern Virginia area that could help me with this repair. I don't think I can do it alone?

crap now the problem is getting worse. now it wont shift into reverse. Anyone live in the northern Virginia area that could help me with this repair. I don't think I can do it alone?

Have you dropped the pan? Checked for metal? Tested solenoid block with test meter?

No. I'm giving up on this car. Will be selling it or putting it to sleep in a junkyard soon. Thanks for asking. 2 mechanics have already told me to either replace the tranny or have it rebuilt. I have now lost reverse, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears.

Back