Spring 2015 GWNF Run | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spring 2015 GWNF Run

Hello, I would also like to go. I have a 01 Explorer sport with a 2" lift, 31" Goodyear Duratracs and tow points front and rear, but both my diffs are open. Would I be able to run with you all?

Thank you,

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trails we run in the National Forest are moderately challenging. A stock Gen 1 or 2 explorer (4x4) should be able to make it through the trails without any major damage or getting stuck. Driver experience helps.

The trails at fishfoods, vary from two wheel drive to break what you brung. His trails really depend on how much and how recently rain has fallen. If it is dry, they are steep and technical. If it rains, it is like trying to wheel on a black diamond ski slope, really fun!

Ok, that hasn't scared me away; I just wont break what I 'brung' :D
Looking forward to meeting you all and getting my truck dirty.

what kind of run is this?

try to answer a couple of your questions
1 the runs are in the national forest, near Crabtree Falls and Blue Ridge Parkway area(Western Nelson County) . Stony run or Big levels is one, shoe creek is another. A third and unlikely candidate is Peavine. I haven't tried but I would bet a google search would come up with something.
2 the trails in gwnf. are fire roads that take more driving finesse than heavy equipment... stock 4x4 will be fine with a couple "drive arounds" and we travel slow enough that we can help new people through. The fishfood trails are on my private land, and in the past have proven to cause a few dents... maybe because they are very narrow. Maybe because we run here at end of the day after we get off the public trails and get a little ****y, Maybe because they are steep and slick Maybe because all of the above. riverside trails are more scenic than anything and provide access to swimming holes.... you can still get stuck in right conditions.
3. The camp is at my house, and is generally tent camping with electricity nearby. The walkout basement is set up for entertaining and has full bath, bar, pool table and a couple futons, fridge full of beer etc. The rest of house is generally for family. Guest bedroom is always claimed far in advance.
4. nothing to donate or pay. just bring what you would normally do for a tent camp, and be pleasantly surprised when you have some amenities that come with having a house there.

Prepping for this run!
1) Bought a truck bed tent. Waterproofing this weekend.
2) Digging the 'those tires a a bit to big for your truck' off road tires out of the garage
3) Located a powertrax diff to go in my rear axle. Probably next week or the week after for install.

I hope i.make it. This rangers been nothing.but problems. Dirty axle, balljoints from hell, infection on my finger, losing springs for my.locker, rear just wont sit level no matter what i do, carrier shims getting mixed up front and rear, trans refused to go in easy.

Still need finish locker, level the.rear, button up front, sway bar, align it, find a driveshaft, get tires mounted.

And im being screwed at work, leaving me no time to work :(

Head count and update

Really not cool to throw my home address in a forum post XEEK.... you really should have asked first..... I would have told you no! I would like you to take it down if you can! I have always told people to PM me for directions to my home.

I can certainly advise everyone that my property is private land 3 miles from any public street, in the middle of other peoples private lands....all roads are privately owned so without my personal invite, no one has any reason or right to ever even get off the public road. My neighbors and I working in conjunction with police are very actively enforcing trespassing. I will enforce trespassing on anyone who comes poking around outside of my invited timeframe. I have advised my neighbors to have anyone who claims to be my guest arrested if I have not specified otherwise ( i.e specified dates where there will be guests).

As we get closer let me know who really is coming..... and whether or not you are camping at my place... people can start arriving as early as Friday at noon (I have to work Friday morning) and need to be gone by Monday at noon.

If you plan on using shower remember to bring your own towels etc. I don't have enough for multiple guests. The "au natural" shower is probably not going to be hooked up for this weekend

It is looking like the target trail is stony run for early Saturday morning.... I will get updates from rangers office about the access restrictions /detours (they are rebuilding sections of Coal road) as we get closer. Trip destination can change depending on desires of the group.

I am working on my trails..... I have had a lot of deadfall over the winter, and I may need a little help opening up all the options. I am actually trimming back some limbs to help save "them fancy paint jobs", but no guarantees. I have an eyeball on a couple possible new obstacles/climbs through the woods but they will take about an hour of trimming. if you guys are game, we can do it.

wooded tent sites are there but I have not raked or blown the leaves, and will not until I know someone wants to use them. I have all the tools you need to make quick work of that task.

Riverside trails are very nicely cut in ... there are a couple of DDD and TDD blazes that I may try and cut in if I have time. No one up here has even attempted to drive in the sumps area yet this year, so I cannot speak to their condition.

Sorry stacy. I know in the past we have posted it so i assumed it was ok. My post is already edited.

Yea i guess we'll know soon whos going. Gonna go see chris and tim and see if i cant talk them.into going for.sure lol

Stony run sounds good. Im tempted for shoe creek, its the only one i havent driven on. Just depndswhos coming and whats open.

I don't believe my address was ever posted in the past.... I have always insisted on doing pm, and phone but I may be wrong.... with all the violence going on up here, everybody is on edge.....

For all coming.... if you are on the roads up here without me expect that you will be confronted by neighbors who will challenge who you are and why you are here. I will let them know you are coming but i cant get to all of them, so someone will ask. I expect you to be cordial and polite even if they are not. Also note that I just spent 12K fixing the private roads up here so drive slow and cautiously. Save the jackassing around until you are on my land in designated off road locations where we intentionally tear it up.

Lets hope for some rain between now and then. its like a drought up here.

I'm still down for all day Saturday the 6th. I'm not picky where we run, just want have some fun lol

But youll be there friday and sunday also?

I'll be available Saturday only. Between my little ones and running the shop I can't break away for more than the day.

too busy shooting each other

Yea im not sure. Thoyght we have. But with all you guys have going on now, completely understandable.

Good to know the guys in the middle of the road with shotguns wont shoot us after we explain ourselfs haha

no shotguns here! just hand cannons and ARs! They are probably too busy shooting at each other to bother shooting at you xeek....Ha ha

i appreciate you trying to get a head count..... its beginning to look like another fizzle....

look at a map

Xeek,

don't know how you plan to get here but if you are going safari park on Friday then you might want to look at travelling up 460 out of tidewater to 501 to Glasgow then west to natural bridge ....etc and hit safari park on the way in...... taking 64 goes way out of your way on north east. Anyway take a look at a map. remember I will be busy working until noon Friday.

safari park is probably 1.5 hours from buttholeville.

I plan on attending Friday afternoon, Saturday, and leaving Sunday morning. I am more than willing to bring a chainsaw and help clear cut some stuff Friday under your direction.

A river spot would be really nice :)

Ill PM for address and times..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

riverside camps

There are riverside campsites available but they wont have any amenities (no water sewer or electric)..... completely rough camping down there. I can show you what's available when you get here, and you can decide. if you think you want to do riverside then you might think about a string trimmer, (or you can use mine)to knock down some grasses.

Anyway as to chain saws, that is up to you. I have two and that is probably enough. For the big logs that have crossed the trail, or even new trail cut ins I probably need more help of the strong back kind to push them off to side once I cut through them.

If you get to my place you will see the blue Bubba truck.... if you don't see me, I will probably be doing trail maintenance. Blow your horn and I can come up out of the hollow and meet you.

Back