• Register Today It's free!

Replacing visor on 2004 Explorer

Gator

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS 4.0Ltr
I could use a little help with replacing a broken visor on my Explorer. It has the lighted vanity mirror, and I'm not sure how to disconnect and reconnect the electrical connection.

If you can help I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem. Did you hear anything or get it resolved?

I replaced my 2002 lighted vanity mirror visor without an issue. The electrical connection is in the headliner and it's accessible after you remove the mount.

Excellent! I removed the remnants of the mount and tugged on the wires to break them free of the tape in the headliner. Now I have a tan visor in my office and am looking for the mount and cover. The local dealership only has the entire visor available with the mount. Took some pics of the process to post for any others.

http://picasaweb.google.com/geoffhook1/RemovedIlluminatedVisor#5246062326644431650

PapiBigRed, thanks for the excellent photographs.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the electrical wire. Did you just stuff it up into the hole before screwing in the mounting bracket?

Thanks for your response!

PapiBigRed, thanks for the excellent photographs.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the electrical wire. Did you just stuff it up into the hole before screwing in the mounting bracket?

Thanks for your response!

Are you referring to when you replace the visor? When I replaced mine, I just pushed the connector back in over the little indentation. It might jostle a little, but it's so tight I'm not too worried about it.

If you're not replacing the visor with an illuminated one, I would recommend just capping the open connector with some electrical tap, tie a piece of string on the connector and shove it back in. Leave the string hanging out just a little so you can fish it out when you're ready to get at it again. I'm just shooting from the hip on this one.

how to remove mount cover

I replaced my 2002 lighted vanity mirror visor without an issue. The electrical connection is in the headliner and it's accessible after you remove the mount.

I assume cap on headliner is a pop off. Don't seem to be able to get it off.
Don't want to crack it as I only have the mirror replacement part not
the trim stuff.

I assume cap on headliner is a pop off. Don't seem to be able to get it off.
Don't want to crack it as I only have the mirror replacement part not
the trim stuff.

Keep prying on it....

Yes I got mine off and the connector was way up there but I finally got it out. I am going to switch my visors to the 2006 and up. My sister has on ans they are connected with a solid one piece like they should be!!

Anyone know where i can get just the plastic mirror cover? The plastic tabs snapped off. Thanks!!!

whenever my gal opens the mirror on the visor - the light comes on for 1 second and then the fuse blows that controls the dome light and the radio. Any suggestions, how to deal with this?

I would suggest checking to see if the wire is getting pinched in the metal between the roof and visor mount. It sounds like it is grounding out somewhere.

Excellent! I removed the remnants of the mount and tugged on the wires to break them free of the tape in the headliner. Now I have a tan visor in my office and am looking for the mount and cover. The local dealership only has the entire visor available with the mount. Took some pics of the process to post for any others.

http://picasaweb.google.com/geoffhook1/RemovedIlluminatedVisor#5246062326644431650

Papi, I just replaced both my visors with ones I got from eBay. The covers on the mirrors were broken off. I couldn't find just the covers so I replaced the visors. I have the old visors that have the mounts. PM me!

Back