2003 Sport Trac sputtering/rough idle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac sputtering/rough idle.

Bish

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport trac
First post, and I have a question. I have a 2003 Sport trac that has been rough idling and/or sputtering when stopped or first started in the AM. The check engine light came on the other night. Advantage Auto read the codes (O2 sensor) and recommended using a gasoline treatment. Not surprised that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome bish

There are many components in the O‚‚‚‚² Sensor system, could you post the actual codes that were read?

Try changing the O2 Sensors. It could also be the Cold Start Sensor if it only occurs when cold.

Hope that helps, all I can think of at this time.

Tune up?
IAC--clean it out--free
Throttle body-- clean it out also--free

Really need to post the codes. Could be anything from bad EGR valve, or O2 sensor, or a vacuum leak. Or it could very well be dirty injectors.

Codes will point you in the right general direction.

I bought a code reader from Advance Auto a couple of weeks ago for $50, it was on sale, regular price is $70. It just reads the codes and can erase them. It comes with a CD that lists all the codes for MANY vehicles including ours.

Clean the Idle Air Control valve.
Check the vacuum elbow on the passenger side of the engine for a crack.
Both are common problems that will cause a rough idle.

thanks for the advice. I replaced the infamous cracked elbow hose(which was torn not cracked), replaced the fuel filter, erased the code and all is well. the idle is perfect and the light has stayed off.

good to hear. my trac had the same hose busted when i bought it. replacing it made it idle better but i still have a vac leak i have to resolve and its affecting the blend door for my ac. i need all the ac i can get living in south florida, its already hot there. i will be checking that out soon as i get back in town.

My idle is kind of rough too. I have the fuel filter at home with the tool and if it ever stops raining, I will get it replaced.

I have found the elbo and looking at the top of it, I see some marks but no clear tear or hole. Where were you all finding the tears? I am guessing I should pull that sucker off to be able to see all sides of it?

You should be able to hear the leak. Maybe you can stick your finger under the hose and see if you can feel air or maybe your finger will cover the hole and the hissing sound of a leak will stop. Also, that hose comes off pretty easy though if its old it may come apart.

elbow hose leak

I could hear the leak when I lifted the hood. I just pressed on the hose while it was running and it was easy to see the tears on top of the hose.

Infamous hose leak before:

e87b6538.jpg

d64d8583.jpg

and after:

3e87cd87.jpg

thank you very much, very informative

Wow, thanks a lot, I've had the exact same issue with my 2002 and just went and looked and my hose looks exactly like that picture!

Where do you get the replacement elbow hose from?

And does anyone know a part number or exact name?

Thanks a ton!

check engine, sputtering

First post, and I have a question. I have a 2003 Sport trac that has been rough idling and/or sputtering when stopped or first started in the AM. The check engine light came on the other night. Advantage Auto read the codes (O2 sensor) and recommended using a gasoline treatment. Not surprised that didn't work. Any suggestions?

I have same vehicle, same results. I found the solution here on this site. A common problem is the pvc valve hose. if you search this site there is a post that has pics, and how to fix. I had a shop check my engine light when I had my oil changed, he gave me an estimate of $579.00 said I had 2-o2 sensors bad. threw the same codes at autozone. after finding the solution on this site the total cost was $2.79 I replaced the rubber elbow on top of the engine on passanger side. autozone seemed to be aware of the problem and gave me a small L shaped that worked great. good luck, hope this helps

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back