• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer 4x4 not working

stangguy73

Reaction score
City, State
waleska GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer XLT 4.6L 4x4
02 ford explorer 4.6L auto 4x4 does not engage front tires and i can press the 4 high button the 4 high light comes on but still won't engage front end, 4low does the same the 4 low light comes on and it goes in low range but still does mot engage front end, only rear tires spin. anybody have a solution

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure you are in NEUTRAL. When you select 4 High or 4 LOW do you hear a clicking coming from the glove box area? If you do and it still won't go into 4x4, get a light hammer and crawl underneath. Attached to the transfer case is the solenoid that engages the transfer case once you select 4 High or 4 low. Tap the solenoid lightly.Also tap around where it enters the transfer case. It is not uncommon for the shaft on the solenoid to gum up or corrode and prevent it from engaging, especially if it is not used for a long time.

Make sure you are in NEUTRAL. When you select 4 High or 4 LOW do you hear a clicking coming from the glove box area? If you do and it still won't go into 4x4, get a light hammer and crawl underneath. Attached to the transfer case is the solenoid that engages the transfer case once you select 4 High or 4 low. Tap the solenoid lightly.Also tap around where it enters the transfer case. It is not uncommon for the shaft on the solenoid to gum up or corrode and prevent it from engaging, especially if it is not used for a long time.

I am thinking the transfer case is engaging because when i go into netural and press the 4low i have low range gears but no front end pull. But i may be wrong. Does that still lead to the solenoid?

Well, generally when you move the switch to 4 h or low you will feel the transfer case engage.It should be noticeable, a slight "clunk" heard and felt. If you experience that, then the solenoid is doing its thing.Seeing as how you are in an area that has no snow( Georgia) which would make it real easy to tell if your front axle was locking up, the next easiest way would be to have someone look under the vehicle as you slowly move it back or forward when in 4 high or low.See if the axles and front shaft turn.

Well, generally when you move the switch to 4 h or low you will feel the transfer case engage.It should be noticeable, a slight "clunk" heard and felt. If you experience that, then the solenoid is doing its thing.Seeing as how you are in an area that has no snow( Georgia) which would make it real easy to tell if your front axle was locking up, the next easiest way would be to have someone look under the vehicle as you slowly move it back or forward when in 4 high or low.See if the axles and front shaft turn.

we actually have snow here now and that is how i noticed that the front tires were not pulling. Plus i just bought the explorer a few weeks ago. When i shift to 4high i dont here or feel anything but when i am in neutural and shift to 4low i do feel and here a clunk but the front tires still don't pull. And tie indicator lights on the dash come on to let me know 4 hi or 4low and still don't pull the front. Also this explorer has the auto 4x4 if that mattters.

Well then you got me. I don't know enough about the Automatic 4x4. I have an 03 Sport model and a switch/knob that gets turned to select High or Low. As you can feel and hear the Transfer case engaging I am out of suggestions apart from thinking that the solenoid is not engaging fully enough or .... and this is a wide guess...the drive chain in the transfer case is off the driven gear. but rarely does that happen if ever. Best check out some threads in the forum, Lord knows there are enough topics on this subject. Someone is bound to have your problem.

is your driveshaft still there? lol this is truely confusing but thats like the only thing i can think of if t.c. engages but tires dont spin

is your driveshaft still there? lol this is truely confusing but thats like the only thing i can think of if t.c. engages but tires dont spin

Yes the drive shaft is still there. with the ex on jack stands in 4 hi the rt front tire will spin very slowly but if i put my hand on the tire to put some resistance on it it stops and will not start back.Is there any clutches in the t/c.

Back