Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer !

angeloti

Reaction score
City, State
London Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford ex limited
I was wondering if anyone had taken there new explorer on an off road experience ( mud, snow,forest trails,sand etc)
I looked everywhere for videos but beside the ones from Fords site I could't find anything else. It looks like we love our EX to much to see what is capable of doing beside driving on paved roads.
Please post links if you have some
Tx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's about the best videos I have found with "off-road" in the new Ex.
Not really off-road, but sort of a rough dirt road.

http://youtu.be/135d_imepQU

We don't have videos but I have some pics I'll have to dig up. We have taken the Green Bean off road a few times now. Generally local NFS roads around here. Loose gravel, dirt, sand and pits. Haven't played in any real wet stuff yet. Honestly, the new 4Runner Trail will probably do that. Still, the Ex handles herself quite well and we've never been stuck. Last week we did 4+ miles to avoid traffic on a fire break and some of the loose sand was deep enough to give the dial-a-mode 4x4 a work out. I got a little nervous but the Ex seemed unphased. Will try to take and post more pics and videos. I really want to get the Trail and the Ex out in the woods together. Maybe they will mate and make the perfect baby!!! Hehehehehe

I was wondering if anyone had taken there new explorer on an off road experience ( mud, snow,forest trails,sand etc)
I looked everywhere for videos but beside the ones from Fords site I could't find anything else. It looks like we love our EX to much to see what is capable of doing beside driving on paved roads.
Please post links if you have some
Tx
here you go
http://youtu.be/klrOihTIR1E

The new generation explorers aren't going to be worth much offroad. Throw some all terrains on it and you'll be alright so long as you don't run out of ground clearance or articulation...
Popular Mechanics (the magazine) did an offroad test. The explorer got 2nd, behind the Durango. I'm sure there's some videos out there from their tests

...You guys sure hijacked the heck out of this thread..:eek:

Whaaaa! Not me! Never! :D hahaha

2013 XSport in snow

I have the 2013 Explorer Sport and have taken it to the snow a couple times in Big Bear recently with the stock Hankcook tires and it did quite well. I pulled off the road in to a deep snow area and romped on it a bit. Turned trac ctrl off and tried all the diff modes.
A 2" front leveler or electronic adjustable suspension would be ideal on this vehicle. I would like to have a custom skid plate for underneath the front done like on the Raptor.

I'll keep my Sport on the pavement and use my Jeeps for off road. Although the Sport is AWD, so is a WRX and I wouldn't take that off road either.

I'll keep my Sport on the pavement and use my Jeeps for off road.

Jeep recovery vehicles...

expfullfrtsml.jpg

Large_Rick_sml.jpg

Don't worry, the Explorer's have got your back :D

On an explorer forum....

Hahah and we all know explorers kill Heeps offroad and onroad. Besides, we don't get the same aftermarket support. So our stuff is "built"

To the guy posting the pictures of his Jeep. Post some real stuff. I'd take a scooter on those rocks.

Rick- nice looking rigs. If your ever in the North East let me know. I'll be the first to admit that the longer wheelbase of the explorer has a big advantage on ledges. Last time I was out I came pretty close to rolling over due to getting sideways on a ledge. I had to pull my winch cable to get me back straight.

I have an 8.8 rear axle out of a 98 explorer in my YJ. As far as aftermarket support, sure it's there for Jeep, but real rigs are built not bought. I have more homemade parts then bought stuff.

Rick- nice looking rigs. If your ever in the North East let me know.

2016 will be the forums's 20th anniversary. I would like to make a tour around the country with my Explorer. I just may make it up your way:chug:

BTW, I started with a brand new Explorer in '93. Started modifying it for my own needs when it had only 500 miles on the clock. Just because it's new doesn't mean you can't have fun:D

Taking My X Off-Road

I've taken my Explorer off-road a few times without any issues whatsoever.:D

Peter

Attachments

• P8090359a.jpg
    P8090359a.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,518

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when i pulled my truck out of the garage with the f150, i hit a pothole in the yard!

Back