• Register Today It's free!

Paint treatment or clear bra?

elizaud

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
First post here, I'm looking into doing one of two options, doing the inside/outside tratment (Super Polysteel Platinum protection) that the dealer is selling for $299 w/ a 6 year warranty or installing a 3m clear bra that covers grille, bumper, hood, fender and mirrors for $585 with a 5 year warranty. Any opinions, experiences? Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only experience I have is with the 3m clear bra. It works fantastic. Make sure you get the inside of the handles as well (sometimes women with fingernails and scratch the clear). I think the stealship protection wont amount to more than a wax coating...

IMHO - Skip the dealer's inside/outside protection.

I highly recommend using 303 Aerospace protectant for the interior (finished leather, vinyl, plastics (NOT MFT screen or clear plastics) and all exterior trim (rubber, plastics, etc). Have been using it on my Porsche 911 for 7 years, all trim in and out looks brand new. Lexol Vinyl and leather products are also great. Avoid Armor All products at all costs! For exterior paint I recommend any of the quick detailer sprays from Meguiars, Mothers, Griot's Garage - apply between washes and do at least a yearly waxing. I've been using these products with my 12 yr old Exploder and the paint looks shiny and bright.

Clear bra being offered seems like a good deal. I have one on my Porsche and has done a great job protecting the vehicle from road debris. The best product to clean/polish a clear bra is Plexus, a quick and easy spray you can apply once in a while. Be aware that bug gut splatter will sometimes temporarily stain the clear bra, so try to stay on top of washing it. If it becomes stained, just clean (don't scrub!) the surface with the Plexus product and make sure the affected area gets plenty of sunshine, it should vanish in a couple days.

Word of caution make sure the clear bra is applied at least 30 days after vehicle has been built, to insure paint has cured properly.

First post here, I'm looking into doing one of two options, doing the inside/outside tratment (Super Polysteel Platinum protection) that the dealer is selling for $299 w/ a 6 year warranty or installing a 3m clear bra that covers grille, bumper, hood, fender and mirrors for $585 with a 5 year warranty. Any opinions, experiences? Thank you!

1) Super Polysteel Platinum Protect- what is it? Wax?? Pass. Wax your own truck for about $20. RejeX wax is a great choice.

2) Not a huge fan of clear bra products. These trucks sit up pretty high, and "avoid" a lot of the road hazards. The quality of the installer for the clear bra is CRITICAL to the final product's success (appearence). I rather deal with a few rock chip and avoid getting roack chips (don't tailgate truck for example) than deal with the finicky nature and upkeep of the clear bra. Not to mention the "orange peel" effect and lines from clear bra. IMHO, clear bra is better suited for low sports cars.

The dealer paint treatments are nothing but dealer profit...don't bother. If you're going to do something, go with the 3M clear bra.

Another option is something called Ventureshield, from what I have read on forums it does not get the orange peel effect like 3m and comes in wider sheets so you can have the whole hood wrapped if you want. Just google Ventureshield.

ventureshield is owned by 3M, it is thinner than the original 3M clear bra and suppose to have lesser orange peel effect. I was going to try that but found a new option call nano fusion. Just ordered that from ebay and going to try it on.

How did the Nano Fusion work for you?

How did the Nano Fusion work for you?

Great, way better than 3M that I used in my other 2 cars. It is thinner and make installing easier. On 3M you have to use heat gun to stretch it which could result in "Orange peel" look after it cool. also since it is thinner, it is less noticeable after the installation

btw I bought it from ebay for $299 for the full kit - hood, 3 front grill trims ( I have limited so they actually cut me 3 trims pieces for the front grill, even have every hole for it, like 5000 of them all there :) ), bumper, and 2 mirrors.

I do have to manually cut the front bumper corner because of my front parking sensor. I check that is not a standard option and it is not in the pre-cut template.

Definetly go for the clear bra it will provide the best protection. That is the first thing that goes on any car we buy. FYI it is hard not to see flaws on a dark car but still looks better than chips all over the front end .

Great, way better than 3M that I used in my other 2 cars. It is thinner and make installing easier. On 3M you have to use heat gun to stretch it which could result in "Orange peel" look after it cool. also since it is thinner, it is less noticeable after the installation

btw I bought it from ebay for $299 for the full kit - hood, 3 front grill trims ( I have limited so they actually cut me 3 trims pieces for the front grill, even have every hole for it, like 5000 of them all there :) ), bumper, and 2 mirrors.

I do have to manually cut the front bumper corner because of my front parking sensor. I check that is not a standard option and it is not in the pre-cut template.

Did you apply it yourself? If so, how difficult was it to put it on straight and have no bubbles?

I tried finding it on eBay but couldn't find it.

Any chance of you posting pics? I'd like to see it on as well as the edges of the hood, mirrors and bumper.

I live in Arizona and its a fact of life rock chips and sandblasted front ends. I find the actual plastic works best. Plus the "sticker" applications get really, really soft in 115-120 degree heat lol.

Did you apply it yourself? If so, how difficult was it to put it on straight and have no bubbles?

I tried finding it on eBay but couldn't find it.

Any chance of you posting pics? I'd like to see it on as well as the edges of the hood, mirrors and bumper.

This is my 4th car that I apply clear bra myself, by far this is the best job i have done and spent the shortest amount of time to do, may be 3 hours total.

the hardest piece is the top grill (not the hood, but the top grill with a bunch of holes), then the bumper, and the rest is just easy. don't worry about bubbles, as long as you get most of them out, then small ones will eventually dry out and you will see nothing.

Not sure it will show up on picture specially our EX is white. I will try to post some later and see if you can tell.

here is the actual item I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...witem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2840wt_812

Has anyone heard about Cquartz? http://cquartz.com/

Yes. I was a customer / user of it first. After seeing and feeling the paint on some CQuartz coated cars and bikes, I'm now becoming a dealer of it for my motorcycle shop. I've never come across anything like it before. Do some reading online, the age of nano particle paint protection is upon us.

Paint protection like 3M Paint Protection film

Hi all,

So, I have this beautiful Shadow black 2016 Sport. I washed and babied it this weekend and while hand drying I noticed some little paint chips on the hood/passenger door (I bet from road debris / little rocks from the streets). Normal thing to happen, I know, but with only having the car for 3 weeks now, I was a bit heart broken (first brand new black car I ever owned).

Has anyone experience with paint protection films? Do they work? DIY or professional "installation"? Anyone any info regarding avg costs for professional installation and especially, where on the car does it make sense?

Thanks so much in advance!

2016 Explorer Sport

I too have ordered a Shadow Black. I haven't seen how it looks yet. Any chance of posting pics of your new Sport?? Congrats!

I too have ordered a Shadow Black. I haven't seen how it looks yet. Any chance of posting pics of your new Sport?? Congrats!

elindo, I do have some day light photos, but not online to share (yet).
But, since I upgraded to LED fog lights (see other thread) I have some dawn pictures with the new lights.

One example

And full front

To whom ever merged my thread with this one: Thanks a lot! I tried the search, but couldn't find it (3M didn't work and paint protection didn't brig it up).

Are there any people who recently got/ did the paint treatment? What are the prices nowadays and is it worth it? My dealer had a protection package on offer as well, but it was more like $1500, which is a bit too much. If I could get it for bumper, hood and grill for around $500-700, I'd probably do it.

Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your new Sport!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back