Bulldog Remote Starter Installed!

bigapple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS Touring
i apologize for not getting pictures of the install where i spliced the wires but it was easier than i had thought... i had ordered a wiring harness to plug into the ignition harness in early november and it has been opn backorder for 3-4 months... i said screw it and just decided to check out the directions and see if i could manage... everything happened to be in the ignition harness rite there so i simply tapped into those and hooked up the necessary wires... u can see where i tapped into them in the steering column... theyre wrapped with yellow electrical tape... the first shot is of the security bypass for the PATS system so i can start from a distance... u have to put a factory key in the module to get a signal that it transmits... works like a charm... btw i already have the fusion key for lock/unlock so i simply use the new one for start/stop to prevent me from having two key fobs

2456765_93_full.jpg

2456765_94_full.jpg

2456765_95_full.jpg

i put this module behind the dash cover that is removed in this picture... it snugly fits into the hole rite there under the long black bar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of distance are you getting out of it?

how do u like the remote start i was thinkin of putting it on my 01 sport

i apologize for not getting pictures of the install where i spliced the wires but it was easier than i had thought... i had ordered a wiring harness to plug into the ignition harness in early november and it has been opn backorder for 3-4 months... i said screw it and just decided to check out the directions and see if i could manage... everything happened to be in the ignition harness rite there so i simply tapped into those and hooked up the necessary wires... u can see where i tapped into them in the steering column... theyre wrapped with yellow electrical tape... the first shot is of the security bypass for the PATS system so i can start from a distance... u have to put a factory key in the module to get a signal that it transmits... works like a charm... btw i already have the fusion key for lock/unlock so i simply use the new one for start/stop to prevent me from having two key fobs

i put this module behind the dash cover that is removed in this picture... it snugly fits into the hole rite there under the long black bar

bigapple - do you mind posting a link to the remote start wiring kit? Hopefully they do international internet/mail order.

i have a python remote start system and i love it... i get 900 feet easily...

dont forget to turn your heat on when shutting your car off...

hehe it sucks if you start her up 20 minutes early to find that you didnt have the heat on...:thumbsup:

What kind of distance are you getting out of it?

it says rated for 400ft and im guessing thats about accurate because i walked down my street (guessing about 120ish yards) and it picked up the signal just fine... this is worth it for the money if u simply want a starter with no alarm... do remember that this system is only a 1-way though so u just have to hope ur car starts cuz it wont tell u if it is (like a 2-way)

how do u like the remote start i was thinkin of putting it on my 01 sport

it is one of the most convenient things in the world... i cant even imagine when ill ever simply use the key again... i had a rental car after my incidental hit and run that had a remote start and that car alone made me want one

bigapple - do you mind posting a link to the remote start wiring kit? Hopefully they do international internet/mail order.

well unfortunately thats the piece that never arrived to me in time... i ordered the "optional t-harness" on november 3rd and it is still on backorder... they told me that the company that manufacturers them is overseas and they recently expirienced a bankruptcy and handed the company over to bulldog security so it will be a while before i get one... i was against tapping into my ignition wires because i thought for sure if i did it, something wouldnt work rite... conveniently, the ignition harness that can somewhat be seen in my photo where the yellow electrical wire is had all the wires rite there and i printed out a sheet from bulldogsecurity.com with the wiring directions for an 02 explorer that told me where to find each wire, and what color each was... i couldve also installed the lock/unlock but all i wanted was the starter... if u want to search around, the site is directwholesale.net... my starter is the starter with lock/unlock and trunk pop which is the RS 1100

if i had looked into it before, since i didnt want the lock/unlock, i shouldve ordered the starter alone which is 10 fewer dollars (used to be about 20-30 less)

if u get this, be sure to have a spare key handy and order the 20 dollar security bypass

i have a python remote start system and i love it... i get 900 feet easily...

dont forget to turn your heat on when shutting your car off...

hehe it sucks if you start her up 20 minutes early to find that you didnt have the heat on...:thumbsup:

ill agree to that definitely... great to have it already warming up... im gunna have to get used to turning it on and leaving it because the rental car i had that had remote start had climate control and did it by itself... wish i had that beast in the X but hey i guess u cant have ur cake and eat it too

u should post a video of u doing a remote start

does the security bypass disable pats permanently? or do you still need a pats key to start the explorer?

the bypass has a key inside of it that is programmed to ur car... theres a ring that wraps around it and uses its signal... the wire goes from the bypass module to this large ring that wraps around the ignition... it basically uses the signal from the key to fool ur system into thinking there is a key in the ignition... theres no modifications to the ignition and PATS works just fine

How long would say it took u to install this?

How long would say it took u to install this?

well i had a little issue before the install... i undid the steering column cover and undash panels and i realized i should probably disconnect the battery... my terminals were so corroded i couldnt get them off and had to break it... i had to run to autozone, buy new ones, and reinstall them... that took about 45mins to an hour... as for tapping into the wires, with the colors of wires from the printout from the site and the booklet that came with it explaining each wire's function, it went pretty smoothly for about an hour or hour and a half installation... i had an issue after reconnecting it to where the relays inside were clicking and nothing was working but i logged onto the site and discovered that this clicking was in program mode for my remote... i grounded a wire, pushed down on the brake, pushed a button, and BAM car started... like a charm

i love the remote start with the dual exhaust. its just sexy. can hear a VROOOMMmm with the push of a button.

I use the Omega AL-2000edp. I get very long range... down to the end of my block, starts at the end of a parking lot from inside stores. I used to be a reseller of 12V equipt, now just a hobbiest. I really like this peice. If I were going to a best buy or circuit city, I'd go after a viper or dei 2-way. One thing about the pats units. You can use the universal integrator were you are stuck losing a key under the dash. Now however both DEI and Omega make a pats bypass module that requires no key.

The biggest issue I have run into is the factory alarm. After a while it automatically arms. Then when you use the transmitter to unlock it, the factory alarm goes off. If I remote start it (or apply ign) it automatically disarms the factory alarm. I still haven't fixed the issue, but one worth noting if you are doing a full keyless/remote start.

Nice work on the BullDog!

I use the Omega AL-2000edp. I get very long range... down to the end of my block, starts at the end of a parking lot from inside stores. I used to be a reseller of 12V equipt, now just a hobbiest. I really like this peice. If I were going to a best buy or circuit city, I'd go after a viper or dei 2-way. One thing about the pats units. You can use the universal integrator were you are stuck losing a key under the dash. Now however both DEI and Omega make a pats bypass module that requires no key.

The biggest issue I have run into is the factory alarm. After a while it automatically arms. Then when you use the transmitter to unlock it, the factory alarm goes off. If I remote start it (or apply ign) it automatically disarms the factory alarm. I still haven't fixed the issue, but one worth noting if you are doing a full keyless/remote start.

Nice work on the BullDog!

haha yea mine was much more basic than that... i just wanted a simple starter; no alarm needed... i was looking for a two-way that didnt include an alarm system but that seemed to be pretty much only one way systems... this works pretty well though and im pleased with the ease of installation... thanx for the compliment:thumbsup:

Back