Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 199 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

510a6be4-ae63-48eb-bbd6-3db5ae63468b_zps9eb19056.jpg

These ORI struts worked flawlessly, What a ride. The internal bump stops are great. No harsh bottoming out. Only problem I had was the increased amount of flex due to the longer travel which had the rear top links hitting a part of the cross member. It was at a part that had a lower mounting bracket for the top link which I won't use anyway. A cut off wheel took care of it.
In the above pic I have my crane lifting the truck up so all 14" of strut shaft are showing, giving me room to work on that problem area.
On another note, the Dana 70 is awesome in the strength dept., but the large diff does and did get hanged up on some rocks which took some different lines to clear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been almost 2 months any updates?

I have enjoyed following this build so I hope it's still going kinda strange for this to go this long without an update. Hope everything is going good.

Well fellas, my Bronco was just like a book, almost literally lol. It had a beginning, middle and now the final chapter. I sold it to a gentleman in Baltimore Md who had a business repairing large ships in the harbor. He also bought the trailer.
He bought it at a good time when the rig was at the top of it's game and not all torn up. I followed some sales of rock crawlers and such, when their all banged and broken up their value declines drastically. Strange thing is he really is not going to do much crawling at all but more wooded trils to wheel with his jeep buddies. If that's the case it ought to last a very very long time.
A couple weeks later he called and said "This is one *****in ride" with that I smiled and said, "glad you like it".
Thousands and thousands of hours went into this build and all the awards, magazine articles and even tv time could not have been possible without the tremendous support and ideas that came from this site.
I'll drop by from time to time to see how it's going.

Maybe it's because I just woke up but I'm a a loss for words. That rig was one of the cornerstones of the BII corner on this site. I guess I'll have to up my game then!

Any plans on another build?

no kidding what bats just said! however, in the end, it is/was your truck rick, and you are able to do what you please with it. i was looking forward to sitting and chatting again with you at 2014 AFN if i made it there this year.

The 1950 Willys pickup has always intrigued me. The front Dana 60 that I still have sure would look good in the front of one of these. Of course the truck would be totally radicalized.
One of my good friends named Gene says he'll give me a complete Ford 5.0 engine. I know where several of these "50" style Willys are that I could get cheap. Plenty of ford 9 inchers just laying around.

https://www.google.com/search?q=`19...Fjeeptruck.com%2Fsale%2Fsale0002.html;640;480

*Ya, ill miss the All Ford and Truck Nationals for sure Tim. Would love to see the present owner take up there. But better yet, take it to one of these east coast rock climbing events like "Big Dogs" and let me ride along.

Really sorry to see this Rick. Best of luck in all of your future endeavors and thanks for your help with the forum.

End of an Era, guess some other build threads are gonna have to et crackin to keep the bII forum rollin, i'll update more, Bats needs to get some progress goin on his, and it looked like there were a few more peeps building cool rigs. Rick don't be a stranger man

Back