4X4 light Flashing, ABS light on and Intermitent Cruise control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4X4 light Flashing, ABS light on and Intermitent Cruise control

sawiseley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford ExplorerXLT4.6
2004 Ford Explorer XLT V8 4.6

In the past months I have tried to do some research about the issues I am having and can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

I purchased my Explorer in 2010 with 80,000 on it. When I got the truck I had issues with the cruise control working sometimes and other times not. This could be something as simple as stopping at a stop light would take the cruise from working to not. Then I noticed that my ABS light was on and occasionally had my abs kick in as if I was on ice. I live in South Florida, trust me, nothing to slip up on here.

From my research I understand that the two of these are related with the abs sensor and have neglected to replace or test these two items.

Recently the 4X4 light flashes several times sporadically and when I initially start my Explorer and make sharp turns I have a slipping in and out of 4WD. It has progressivly gotten worse. I seem to find what I am looking for as far as fixing the problem on some threads but I have yet to find a thread with all 3 of these issues.... any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump.
Hunny came home this afternoon with the '04. Her problem(my problem) sounds very similar to Sawise.
She went to do some errands and claimed the ABS light came on first. Later in trip 4high light flashed on and off.
Playing around in yard, im sure it is in 4WDHigh. Push 4Auto button and nothing changes. Fuses appear to be good. Out of any better ideas, i switched to relays for two speed shifter. Still no change.
Hoping for some thoughts and knowledge??? Thanks for your time... David

Black_Dog,
I recently swapped my sway bar link kit, bushings, and Upper Control Arm with Ball Joint. This helped the ride of the Explorer tremendously, though I still encounter it from time to time.. Next will be the ABS sensor. I did some research and they look to be about $80 - 90.
I believe you can check the Ohms on both ends of the sensor and check to see which one is having issues. Again, I haven't made it that far yet

Sawise:
I took the cobby way out and unhooked front driveshaft wire to keep 4WD from engaging. ABS light still on and occasionally 4HIgh light on. My guess is ABS is screwed up and indicating need for 4WD? (This is only a wild guess!!!).
The car has 171,000 miles. Many of those miles have been tough ones. In the past she has done alot of trailering with it. And car has two peddles, she has one of them on the floor at all times.
We have dumped a bunch of money into the car lately(wheel bearings, struts, brakes, etc) and car really isnt worth it? The body is getting very rotted from the winter road chemicals. We had a body man look at it and he said it would take alot of money to make it good. We are considering buying a new SUV(undecided on what the next one will be?). I will run the old explorer for the winter using the brown wire mod, running 2WD and switching to 4WD when conditions warrant?

Black dog,

I attempted to unhook the wire I think you are talking about. Every video I found said it was behind the glove compartment. Mine is not. I see you have an 04 Explorer. Was yours in this spot?

I will take the easy way out until some money comes around for the sensors and all

Back