Rear end gear ratio? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end gear ratio?

k1ckb0x3r

Reaction score
How do you tell what gearing you have? I have a 98 Sport 4.0L SOHC, I think it has the towing package if that makes a difference.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have a metal tag that's attached to one of the the rear differential cover bolts. This tag will show what size axle and what ratio you have installed, (example;8.8 3L73 would be an 8.8 inch Ford rearend with 3.73 ratio the "L" will mean it has a locker of some sorts). The only way it wouldn't be there is if someone already changed the gears and didn't replace the tag. If so, your going to have to open it up with someone that knows gears or start counting teeth!

Hope this helps,
FM

The other way to check is to count the number of times the driveshaft rotates for each revolution of a rear wheel. If you have limited slip (both wheels turn in the same direction when you turn one of them by hand), count as per above and round off to nearest ratio. For instance, if you count approximately 3 3/4 driveshaft revolutions for each wheel revolution, you have 3.73s. If you get approx. 3 1/2 revs, 3.55s. 3 1/4 revs, 3.27.

If you DON'T have limited slip (wheels turn in opposite directions when you turn one by hand), then double the number of driveshaft revolutions, i.e. 1 3/4 revolutions x 2 = 3 1/2 revolutions, or 3.55s.

Hope this helps!

Pete

------------------
'96 XLT 2wd V8
K&N, drilled airbox
Flowmaster 50 series w/ 3" pipe
Explorer Express 1 1/2" lowering kit
Edelbrock IAS
Michelin 235/70 X-One

Post the axel code found on the driver's door and someone will give you the answer.

any idea where i can get a cheap 4.10 diff? i saw it was optional from ford when it was made

The plate on my rear axel says S614E73881F07 I think. My wife went and checked it for me b/c im in another country. I hope you guys can help.Thanks!-Erik

wassup, quick question... i have a 01 sport trac with 33" tires and 18" rims and i want to get my tac meter back down a little. i no my tac is a little high b.c when i'm going about 60 mph. my rpm. is at 2,000. so i was looking into getting me some new gears. what yall think i should get?

Mine turns 2100rpm at 60mph with a 4.10 rear end.

the "L" will mean it has a locker of some sorts)
No it mean's it has a limited slip, a trac loc. A LS is NOT a locker in any way.
The plate on my rear axel says S614E73881F07 I think. My wife went and checked it for me b/c im in another country. I hope you guys can help.Thanks!-Erik
You have 3.73s, the "3" was covered by the bolt.

Mine turns 2100rpm at 60mph with a 4.10 rear end.
I know my door tag has the stock axle code NO. I think It has the stock gearing. Also Stock tire size (235/75/R15). I run 3000rpms at 65mph. Could the gears been changed before I had it??? It is 4WD.

I might try the counting method to see what it is.

I know my door tag has the stock axle code NO. I think It has the stock gearing. Also Stock tire size (235/75/R15). I run 3000rpms at 65mph. Could the gears been changed before I had it??? It is 4WD.

I might try the counting method to see what it is.

The highest (lower numerically) the 4x4 ratios went were the 3.27's. A regular 2wd could go as high as a 3.08. I know my 3.73's turn about 2500rpm at 65 so its possible you have the 4.10's.

Would this also tell me why my speed is five miles off on the speed. Compared to a gps and another car. If my gearing is 4.10 what can I do that would be an easy fix to run the right rpms.

i have a 1991 ford explorer xlt 2wd with a 4.0L v6 that i am going to build into a prerunner. right now i have 33/12.50/15 tires on it and want to put better gears and axles in it so they will turn better and the truck will run better but dont know what gears to put in or what i have. the tag on the diff cover says (S624B 08 88 0J12). anyone have any idea what this says and suggestions on gears and axles to run? i was thinking about 35 spline G2 axles and 4.56 gears? any good?

S613E vs S614E

Per the title, what is the difference between these two? Both are 3.73 ratios and 8.8" gears. The tags are different as well.

The tage that was on the original:
S613E
3L73 88 8L16

The replacement rear end tag:
S614E
73 88 9B22

Per the title, what is the difference between these two? Both are 3.73 ratios and 8.8" gears. The tags are different as well.

The tage that was on the original:
S613E
3L73 88 8L16

The replacement rear end tag:
S614E
73 88 9B22

Looks like your replacement rear is an open rear and the original was a LSD.

Open? LSD? My rear end was on acid??? Oh well. Since 99% of my driving is on dry pavement it won't make much difference. The only reason I have 4WD is for the small amount of snow we get in Denver.

Open? LSD? My rear end was on acid??? Oh well. Since 99% of my driving is on dry pavement it won't make much difference. The only reason I have 4WD is for the small amount of snow we get in Denver.

Dont worry. As long as the ratios match, it will work.

thanks. The old one was getting noisy so I took it to a 4WD shop to have a look. They said that there was one inch of gear lube left in it and about 1 inch of metal shavings! $1500-1600 for a full overhaul with new gears, new clutches, new bearings and seals. I saved about $1200 and got a used one from teh wreakers off another '99 with 50k miles on it! One day to get the old one out and new one in. Good to go!

One thing I had to figure out was how to get the parking brake cable out of the connector under the frame (where the cable from the pedal meets the splitter). I found that there is a small hole in the connector that lines up with a hole in the frame. I poked a small screwdriver through both holes and grabbed the end with vice grips to keep it from falling out. Then used a screwdriver and hammer to drive the cable end out of the connector. It helps to unbolt the bracket from the frame to give you some slack to work with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ford explorer

:(i have a 1998 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 v6 sohc need to find out the axle ratio is on the back. on the door it has axle D4:( can someone tell me wut it is

Back