04 explorer trans swap won't go into gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer trans swap won't go into gear

Ed1023

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Just swapped the transmission on my 2004 xlt 4.6 liter. Filled the pan till it was pouring out like I've seen in 20 different YouTube videos. As I put it in reverse nothing the same goes for all the gears no response. The bad part came after a few minutes of running. The truck stalled. I started it again and it made an odd noise and stalled immediately. Now when you try to turn it over the starter labors like the engine is under a load or something is holding it back. I'm at a loss for words I have no idea where to go from here besides the junkyard. Wish I could afford that option. I would appreciate any assistance/advice I can get thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking that maybe the torque converter wasn't properly engaged with the transmission pump when it was re-installed and something broke :(

Torque converter

I installed the convertor on the flywheel first then raised the trans to it to make the connection. Is that the wrong way to go about that . Figured it would have been hard to line up the four studs. Usually it's bolts going thru the flywheel to the convertor as apposed to stud on the convertor. Any advice on the proper way to go about this process. I've never did a tranny with studs on the convertor. Damn near ready to throw the towel in!!! HELP!!!!!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you need to engage the torque converter to the transmission pump first then install the unit to the engine. I bet you broke the tabs off the oil pump :(

Ugh does that mean the trans is no good? Or can I get a new convertor and try again?

Pump in the trans will have to be replaced.

I guess I'm screwed this truck has been a nightmare ! Just so were clear convertor is set on the trans then I make the connection to the engine . Those four studs screwed me I guess. I know you guys have been thru this give me any and all input ! I'm going on weekend three with this truck ! Idk what else to do!

The Converter is placed on the input shaft, then turned with light inward pressure until it is seated in the pump. Every auto trans I've come across is pretty much this way so just something to keep in mind as a general rule in the future. Just think of it as a learning experience. Sucks but it happens. Hope you get it goin soon.

Thanks for the assistance. Do you think I damaged the trans or convertor.

I would be willing to bet the converter is damaged, other than the pump, I dont see what else would've had a chance to be damaged in the trans. Hard to tell until you pull it back apart. I could be wrong, hopefully someone with more internal trans knowledge will chime in.

I would not think anything else is damaged other than the pump and converter.

You could get another pump and just swap them out, this might be the easiest way for you to get around this problem.

We can give you some pointers on doing this if you decide to handle this yourself. You could try a local tranny shop, bring them the replacement pump and tranny and let them swap it out for you. The pumps in these can be a bit tough to get out, I use a pump puller when I get one of these.

Thanks any pointers would be greatly appreciated

I have the old tranny still, could I swap out the pump from that one. Or will it cross contaminate the replacement trans? Thanks for the advice and pointers. I really appreciate you guys help me out.

The old transmission is perfect, except if it has a bad pump.

It will depend on what type of problems the old transmission had.

If there was a no movement condition or delayed engagements into drive and reverse, these can be signs of a pump issue.

Missing gears or no movement in just one range or shifting issues tend not to be pump issues.

These pump rarely have problems, but there is a valve in the pump that is replaceable that is known to stick and cause a no movement situation.

This GUY had a DIY way to get the pump out of one of these, you will need to do this on both transmissions and more than likely the pump gasket will tear, so be prepared to buy at least a gasket, but may want to look into replacing the o ring and front seal as well.

Stand the transmission up so the pump is facing up when you get to the point to remove it, this will help keep other components from falling out.

Ok going to give it a try Saturday. The reason I'm replace ing the trans is because shifting from second to third it would bang into gear. Over time I guess the banging took a toll on the clutch plates. It got to the point where it wouldn't shift into third. The rpm went up to 5k my wife would have to pull over turn it off a minute or two and continue on but it always banged in to gear.

Ed, for the delayed 1-2 shift, look into the servo bore repairs, Especially the o-ringed replacement servos. Since you already have another trans and its been in, The pump swap sounds like the best case for you. I would hang on to the old trans tho for backup later on as that *may* be all that was wrong with it. It could have been farther damaged but I would almost bet thats what it needs. If you dont want to hold on to it for a spare, send it my way lol, I could use one. Good luck on your pump swap and let us know how it goes.

Edit, wow reading fail, you said 2nd to 3rd, my bad. Still may be worth saving for parts.

Back