8" subwoofer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8" subwoofer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, go with the wiring in the diagram above. I don't like running stereo channels to dual voice coils without the ability to separately set the gains. Too much variance.

There is nothing wrong with using a coil on each channel as long as the signal is the same...usually the subwoofer output is mono.

Doesn't matter if one coil is getting 50 watts and the other is getting 150 watts...there will be nothing wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with using a coil on each channel as long as the signal is the same...usually the subwoofer output is mono.

Doesn't matter if one coil is getting 50 watts and the other is getting 150 watts...there will be nothing wrong with that.

Electrically, that should be correct. It's just that I could always hear it when I tried (the last being a Cerwin Vega XL off an Alpine 3556, so it's been a while :D).

Para,
I'm just curious to know if your mounting that amp in the factory location?

I'm wanting to do something similar to what you're doing. Upgrading the sub, but leaving in in a factory location.

I use my storage space way to much to put a big speaker box in.

Para,
I'm just curious to know if your mounting that amp in the factory location?

I'm wanting to do something similar to what you're doing. Upgrading the sub, but leaving in in a factory location.

I use my storage space way to much to put a big speaker box in.

yup, i'll be squeezing it in the factory location since it already has a flat area to mount on to.. but there will be some trimming on the factory enclosure and the amp itself..

i'll post pics of it when i get them done..

Depending on what enclosure you are using, it might want a bit larger enclosure...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7103_Polk+Audio+db804.html

Polk Audio and Infinity are both very good quality speakers, I don't think you would be disappointed with either of them. The weak spot would be the stock enclosure...

i just downloaded the db804dvc manual and it requires only 0.35cuft on a sealed enclosure :thumbsup:

based on the information posted here (i'll edit this when i find it again) the stock sub enclosure with a 6.5" factory subwoofer is 9 liters in volume or 0.31cuft.. i just have to add .04cuft to it and it will be up to spec..

unless the information i found was incorrect :dunno:..

Which OEM enclosure are you using...?

?
Dead Link Removed
Photo courtesy of section525

?
th_106_0684.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/106_0684.jpg
Photo courtesy of me

Add about .25-.4 #'s of polyfill to the enclosure and it should be dead on the Polk specs. You can buy it in 1# bags at Wal Mart for like $3.

Add about .25-.4 #'s of polyfill to the enclosure and it should be dead on the Polk specs. You can buy it in 1# bags at Wal Mart for like $3.

polyfill stuffing like the one they use to stuff bears?

and what exactly do you mean by ".25-.4 #'s "? is that pounds?

edit... i found this in our winter closet:
IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

will this work or is the one from wal-mart a better quality?

That polyfil will work fine.

i'm assuming Infinity08 measure was in pounds.. so should i put about 1/3 of the bag in the enclosure?

:thumbsup: You got it! Kinda' stuff it to the sides to avoid contact with the driver's terminals and any air vents as much as possible.

got the sub mounted and wired up like the diagram on page 1..

quick question, it kinda sounds weak/low in volume.. the front speakers overpower the sub.. i am getting bass blockers for the front speakers but the sub still somehow lacks presence.. i'm not shooting for loud loud bass but i want to atleast feel its there..

the sub is rated at 180Wrms and its wired to give out an 8ohm load to a 360Wrms amplifier..

thoughts? suggestions on how to make it louder?

Im using the same box as you, what did you use to fill in the gaps from the "pocket" things in the plastic. When my sub is mounted those holes are still showing a little bit making the box unsealed.

Im using the same box as you, what did you use to fill in the gaps from the "pocket" things in the plastic. When my sub is mounted those holes are still showing a little bit making the box unsealed.

i had to cut a LOT of material from the factory box on my install.. there were sections that needed filling so i used a sheet of lexan plastic i got from homedepot and started molding it to shape over the gaps, cooled them down, cut it to size applied a lexan adhesive sealant then screwed it in place.. this process ensured a sealed surface but took a long time to do..

the amp was trimmed down to size too to fit into the space behind the interior panel.. the electronic components were disassembled first and removed before the case was shaved..

the whole build was done with cargo space in mind.. this was a huge factor for me since i actually use my trunk space and i need it when i move this end of april..

here's some pics of the assembly:
IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

finished (for now..) product:
IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

The sub and amp is not maxed out so it runs in the safe zone and the amp only gets slightly warm when used for a long time with moderate-high volume levels..

bass is nice and precise with a thump.. filling at most and not annoying to the passengers/driver..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what i have. The way my sub fit the box i was able to use silicon to seal the gaps in. I havent installed it into the ex yet, the panel is just sitting in there for a teaser pic. The way my sub(8inch MA audio) is it should fit behind the stock grill with only a little trimming on the lip for the grill. Im not mounting my amp behind the panel like you.

sub2.jpg

sub1.jpg

Back