• Register Today It's free!

Chop Top....

04sd

Reaction score
City, State
pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 F150, '84 Ranger
'90 BII chop top with Ranger bed rails and tailgate. In a few months I'll be swapping in a 4.0/A4LD/D35/8.8 from an Explorer.

1562735167_340d8fd466_o.jpg

1562737047_d959174a59_o.jpg

More photos here... http://flickr.com/photos/9970648@N06/sets/72157600761070252/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's looks like a squished ranger. I love it!:D

wow, i was thinking of doing this to my explorer.
Nice to see how it would turn out if i followed through on the idea.
really well done.

im impressed.

heck yes more pictures please!
Looks nicely executed

The only pics I have are in the link of the original post. I still haven't started on the 4.0+ swap yet, to many other projects going on, house, kids, etc. In the last 6 months though I've picked up three '91-2 Explorers for parts. I've got a manual 1354, factory manual hubs, warn hubs, a good 4.0, a good A4LD, axles, plus lots of spare parts.

the 4.0L in the chopped up BII will be alot of fun! I remember the first time I drove my BII with the 4.0L I as like "finally" the 2.9L is a car engine IMO

The 4.0L is a natural fit in there, especially easy with the 89-90 BII that shares similar power distribution/wiring and MAS

Looks good. Nice work. I'm only a few miles from the Pa. border. What town? Be cool to get a pic of my Black one next to your Yellow one.

I can hardly wait for the 4.0. I was torn between doing a 4.0 or a 5.0/302 but the 4.0 swap is just to easy and a lot less money. I've got the factory wiring schematics for the the 90 BII and the 91 Ex and just about everything is plug and play. I've got a set of these.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-4-0-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-EMBLEMS-SILVER-W-BLUE-DOT-4_W0QQitemZ320141643288QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
....collecting dust just waiting.

I'm quite a ways from WV, Eastern PA near Allentown.

Just a little to far. Thanks for reply.

That 4.0 will be fine in your rig. Keep us posted. Love that color.

I was on board till mention of the A4LD, I would consider an M5OD instead. Very nice looking B2!

Wow, that looks awesome! I like the rear cover!

Can we get some close ups on the cutting?
Thanks

looks sick dude. I was going to do that with mine when i had it but the tranny went and didn't have money to fix it. Now that i see what it would look like i think im going to gte and old one achop it and make it my mud trunk

I was on board till mention of the A4LD,

I know a lot of guys don't like the A4LD but that's what I've got and given my use I think it'll be fine. This is not my daily driver and I don't really offroad it. I bought a '92 Ranger (SC, 4x4, 4.0, A4LD) new and drove it every day for 12 years and never had a problem. They're not all junk :)

I've been kind of busy and I didn't really take any pictures of the conversion but...
- the 4.0 is in
- the manual 1354 is in
- front d35 in with Warn hubs
- front Explorer coils
- rear 8.8
- rear Explore/BroncoII leaves

Sits about 3/4 higher than before. Rides a little better. The extra power is real nice but I'd seriously consider going with a 5.0 and maybe a 5 speed if I had to do it again. The 4.0 was just to easy and cheap to pass up. With buying, selling some parts, and scrapping 3 first generation Explorers in the last year my total out of pocket is probably about $250, mostly for new belts/hoses/gaskets/etc.

2823986715_8dd34de56a.jpg

2999907179_b4f144c708.jpg

3000749538_314dcaa713.jpg

Sits about 3/4 higher than before. Rides a little better. The extra power is real nice but I'd seriously consider going with a 5.0 and maybe a 5 speed if I had to do it again.
I think you'd be happy with a 5 speed, mine's fairly quick considering it's on 33s and under-geared,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgdIYBm34I

I know this is an old thread but the photos provide the best 'how to' that I've found for doing a BII chop. Thanks to the OP for sharing.

I know this is an old thread but the photos provide the best 'how to' that I've found for doing a BII chop. Thanks to the OP for sharing.

I actually sold the chopped BII a few years ago and built this Ranger on a two door Explorer chassis. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9970648@N06/sets/72157623357391357/
My daughter and now son drive it in high school. I have an idea for a full chop on a BII with a removable pickup cab, maybe some day I'll get around to it. Currently working on a flat fender jeep.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back