Broken handle on the outside of the rear hatch. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken handle on the outside of the rear hatch.

michaeldfv

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT
Hey, the handle for the back door on my 2003 explorer sport xlt is not opening my door at all. you can still pull it and it springs right back like its supposed to but I can tell that its just not catching on anything. I need to fix this problem. I cant even get my spare down without opening the back door. If anyone has any advice or solutions PLEASE let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome and that sux bout ur broken back door handle

have u tried taking off the panel to see whats going on in there? maybe it came unhooked

I've already thought about taking the door panel off but the thing is, I have to open the door to do that, and right now i dont know how open the door

there is no handle inside the door, only on the outside

I have the same problem. The newer style hatch on the 2nd gens. One day when I went to open the rear hatch the plastic mechanism broke. Now the handle is loose and doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

You don't need to open the tailgate to remove the trim panel. It certainly makes the job easier, but it's not necessary. Flip the seats down so you have some space to work... Two screws in the grab handle, one screw next to the window latch (speaking of which, does the window open? If not you'll have to 'modify' the plastic a bit), pop the trim off around the top and sides of the window, pull up on the panel and it's off. The back window will need to be open, but if it won't unlock either, you'll have to get it loose, then cut/break the bottom where it hooks under the window latch to get it out of the way.

Once inside, I suspect you'll find either a link that came loose, busted plastic clip, or the actuator isn't moving all the way to unlock the tailgate.

Good luck!

i dont have that problem but on the inside the handle is rusted badly so i cut a hole on the inside so u can just pull the bar back and forth if it gets stuck would probaly work same for u and if u gotta replace the handle good luck cuz mine is stuck on there cuz i cant find a way to get to the 2nd bolt and the 1st 1 is rusted on

Many Thanks

Rear door latch stopped operating. I read gijoecam's post and tried it today. Hard to tear into the inside door panel but, opened the window, removed the inside pull strap and from inside the truck, pried the inside door cover clips off starting with the window top and working down each side, lifted the panel up to clear the lower panel fasteners. Then carefully removed the glued plastic cover from the door. Found the link rod between the handle and release mechanism hanging loose. The plastic nut on the back of the linkage clip on the door handle had broken off and the clip had twisted enough to open and release the linkage. With no drawing to follow it was a challange to figure how the linkage was supposed to work but straightened the clip put the linkage in and closed it. Worried that the clip might come loose again I screwed a 3/8" stainless steel sheet metal screw with washer into the open end of the clip mounting tube and buttoned it all up. You guys are the greatest.

Were u able to get the panel off without breaking any of the clips?

clips

Yes, the repair was a success completely. By paying attention the direction of the clip as you pry it out you can remove the panel with no breaks. It's delicate work but possible with some care. beb

Yes, the repair was a success completely. By paying attention the direction of the clip as you pry it out you can remove the panel with no breaks. It's delicate work but possible with some care. beb

:exp:Wish me luck. :rolleyes:

is there any way of opening the door when the clips are broken. I have a flat and need to access the spare tire.

See posts #9 & 11 in this thread. It's awkward, but you can get the inside door panel off with the tailgate closed. Unscrew pull strap, don't forget the screw under the little panel where the lock button pops up, pop off plastic push pins around window, pull up on panel to clear hooks on bottom of panel. Good luck.

Hi I have a broken handle on the rear tail gate 2000 Ford explorer XLT and can't figure out how to replace the new handle. Where does the pieces all fit with the bars into the yellow clips?

Yes, I have the door panel off and I can get to the inside. I have the new handle but,cant figure out how to replace new handle on the bars. There is a bar with the old yellow clip hanging down loose. Don't know what to do from here.

I came here, and learned how to take the liftgate apart on my 98 Explorer; but now I need some advice on what to do once I've done that. Here's the problem: The liftgate latches work at they should; but when I pull the latch handle up, there's a very loud "clank!!" as the "jaws" at either end of the gate open up. It didn't do this before, I promise; it's the sound of those jaws slamming against their stops--I can see where they're scarring the stops. So loud it startles the neighbors--and will do the same when I take this car turkey hunting! I'm guessing there must be a spring of some sort inside that normally cushions this unlatching; but I can't find anything in the parts schematic that looks probable. Can anybody tell me what I'll be looking for, once I take the liftgate apart?
Thanks!
LB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah yes, the famous lift gate lever snap. This video is the best one I found on YouTube for repair ideas.

Back