Factory Rear DVD W/Aftermarket Head Unit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Rear DVD W/Aftermarket Head Unit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the RES connector in a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer?

Has anyone come up with a feasible solution that they can share? And please don't say you'll help then disappear.

Well I did reply. Something must of not gone through. You should have followed up with me. I replied the minute I got your email. I'll resend in a bit

I tried to send another email but it wouldn't go thru

The rear entertainment system relies on the factory head unit to work the factory way.
In order to retain factory features, you must keep the factory deck.

The only other way I can think of bypassing it and using an Aftermarket deck is by hooking up the factory deck somewhere in the back hidden.

Or, swap out that factory player for a new one.
All the power points are there, and I believe DVD players are about $80 for cars now.
Less of a headache to put in a new one than trying to get the original one running independently.

I have an 04x EB figured out that if you put power to the green/black wire on the 16 pin connector from behind the stereo the DVD will power up and work...don't know the speaker wires thow....

If I get a chance I will look up some diagrams and companies to see what I can find for you. I have access to alldata at work and metra special order and other manufacturers as well.

DVD hardwire colors are as follows; pin 5 lt grn/black is switched power for the DVD player, pin 17 orange is DVD audio right +, pin 18 DVD audio right -, pin 19 red is DVD audio left +, pin 20 DVD audio left -. If RCA are connected to the audio wires you can play into the AUX input of an aftermarket deck.

Hope this helps.

I removed my factory HU and replaced it with a DVD/NAV unit a while back, I think I am going to give this a try, to power up the RES and see if it will play through the infrared headphones.

Today I pulled the head unit and tapped power to the GR/BK wire on the RES connector. The RES would turn on, but turned back off after 1-2 seconds. Pressing the power button would repeat this. DVDs will load and eject but won't spool up.

Do you have the factory stereo installed in the truck somewhere? Mine is installed under 2nd row, passenger side. You need to run CanBus A and CanBus B lines from the RES to the factory stereo (wherever it's installed). and also the power wires for both +12v constant +12v switched and ground (I used a bolt under seat to ground to)

Jones thank you for the information. I do not have the stock HU installed.

No problem. The factory HU has 2 communication lines that come from it to the RES basically saying "it's ok to turn on now". Once it receives the "ok" then your golden. But until then you will only get power for a second or 2, as you stated. I spent a few months on this project reading diagrams and what not and forum readings on how the audio system works in the truck. No CanBus adapter will work in the 2005. Just an FYI. So don't waste your money.

mavieman73,

I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-X850BT head unit into my '04 Mountaineer, which had the Audiophile Sound System and RSE System. I was able to retain the system simply by rewiring one wire. You don't need any extra harness. My RSE's audio is independent of the headunit, but the infrared headphones still work and if I want to have the audio from the back go to the whole car, then I can just plug a cable from the headphone jack of the system and into the AUX port of my Pioneer. You just need to tap into your headunit's ignition power (should be red wire) and plug that into the DVD connector's first pin (Audio System ON). There are three connectors that attach to the back of the original Audiophile system. So when the ignition is turned to accessory, the DVD player will think the original Audiophile Sound System is still there and on, allowing you to turn on the DVD player when you want. I have the wiring diagrams, so if you need help finding the connectors, let me know. Also, you don't need to remove the DVD player from the ceiling. Everything is done inside the headunit's carriage.
I could really use the wiring diagram, traduechel@aol.com

Sorry for the necro, but I'm desperate. Have 05 mountaineer and I'm currently in the same spot. Have aftermarket HU and would like factory DVD to work. If you guys are still around I was wondering how you attached the factory head unit under your seat. I was going to cut dvd harness out from front and leave in factory head unit. Spice power and ignition from new head unit into wires of just removed DVD harness running to factory DVD unit. Run spliced canbus A & B lines from roof DVD unit to factory head unit under rear passenger seat with DVD harness. Run spliced power and battery line from same roof DVD to factory HU under seat spliced into old DVD harness. Good? Do I need to run rca lines for audio?

Sorry for the necro, but I'm desperate. Have 05 mountaineer and I'm currently in the same spot. Have aftermarket HU and would like factory DVD to work. If you guys are still around I was wondering how you attached the factory head unit under your seat. I was going to cut dvd harness out from front and leave in factory head unit. Spice power and ignition from new head unit into wires of just removed DVD harness running to factory DVD unit. Run spliced canbus A & B lines from roof DVD unit to factory head unit under rear passenger seat with DVD harness. Run spliced power and battery line from same roof DVD to factory HU under seat spliced into old DVD harness. Good? Do I need to run rca lines for audio?
Good luck getting a response to this. I have been wondering how to make it work too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Piggybacking on this thread instead of starting a new one so I hope that's alright. I have an 04 EB with the factory DVD which mysteriously quit on me recently. I don't care to keep the DVD working anymore, but I do want to keep the steering wheel control functionality and replace my stock 6 disc changer unit with an android audio style unit. Would I just be looking at a double din model or do I need to look for anything specific to make sure my steering wheel controls will still work?

Back