When you're stronger than the wrench. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When you're stronger than the wrench.

2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I'm sure I am not the first...just thought it would be fun to post. My arm, unfortunately was not stronger than the fender. I was mother f-ing for 15 minutes after this one. BTW, it's a Pittsburg ratchet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must have some pretty big pipes:D

Ahh, Pittsburg, Harbor Freight and China's finest ;)

I broke the mechanism of a Husky ratchet a few months ago, the mechanism could turn freely in the housing.

Originally posted by Alec
Ahh, Pittsburg, Harbor Freight and China's finest ;)
I agree, but they are my father-in-law's and I can't complain about that now can I?...LOL

Oh and BTW, it's Taiwan...get it straight.

I broke the mechanism of a Husky ratchet a few months ago, the mechanism could turn freely in the housing.
Ya, broken many husky ratchets, that mechanism is really weak.

Anybody ever split an impact socket w/ a wrench? My dad was pretty upset about that. Never seen the wrench break like that though, or heard of it.

Originally posted by Rob_B
Anybody ever split an impact socket w/ a wrench? My dad was pretty upset about that. Never seen the wrench break like that though, or heard of it.
I can see that happening with a oversized breaker bar.

"china" on most manufactured products = Taiwan.

Anyway, tools are meant to be used, aren't they? ;)

"china" on most manufactured products = Taiwan.

Anyway, tools are meant to be used, aren't they? ;)

Indeed they are.

i broke a high lift jack replacing my RA bushings, and i wasnt using it to lift the explorer. long story, involving a bunch of beer, an axle that didnt want to push forward, and a slew of words so long that it definitely finished off my chances of ever getting into heaven.

That's putting the torque to it!! I have a ratchet that looks the same. I currently have a breaker bar that has a 90 degree bend in it from trying to break loose the lugnuts from the idiot at the tire store using the impact to install the nuts as tight as he could. The bend involved a 5 foot pipe and a floor jack!!! Still haven't gotten the lug nuts loose though. And I destroyed my impact wrench on the same nuts as well. I love tool breakage almost as much as watching trail breakage.

Time for some Craftsman rachets.

Ouch!!! Did your arm smack the fender? No fun. I had a cheapo China 3/8" ratchet strip out and I tore up my hand on a @#$% Maxima doing belts.

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
Time for some Craftsman rachets.

funny, i broke 2 doing my BL...one 3/8" and one 1/2". thank god for warranties.

Haha...that's why you should get Craftsman tools!! Gotta love that lifetime warrenty!!

OUCH

Crap, time for some real tools, thats why I NEVER use a non USA quality ratchet, chances are if it goes you will get hurt, and the more torque your putting on that sucker the more its gonna hurt. I did the same thing last night taking off my running boards, with a CRAFTSMAN ratchet, the thing broke and gave way and I took a good chunk of skin off my hand, needless to say I chucked that f'n wrench in the driveway and grabbed my SK socket wrench and will never touch a craftsman ratchet again...BTW that was the first time id ever really used that ratchet, and wasnt really too hard on it...sorry kinda venting, its been a long night...but plenty of wheelin tomorrow!

I always try to save some money on tools by going to harbor freight. That's until they snap on me. I've broken so many tools, it's not even funny.

The worst time is, when you're working on something and the only tool you have and NEED breaks. That's when I start swearing and throwing the tools at the ground, thinking that the tool would die.

Were you using a cheater pipe on that ratchet?

I have seen some broken Craftsman sockets, but to date have never broken one....

If possible guys, scour pawn shops and flea markets for second hand Craftman tools.....the older ones seem to be higher quality somehow...

Wow, your arm AND hand must've hurt. I hate those rippley grips on ratchets. Harbor Freight isn't the best stuff, I bought a tap and die set from them, you could tell the instructions were translated, and misspelled at that. Good work though, great conversation piece.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My buddy did this the other day with a Craftsman wrench. Went to Sears, got a new one. Broke it too. That bolt would not move. I think he eventually got it off with a crow bar/blow torch combo. Definately stronger than the wrench. He later hoisted the engine (4 cyl) out of the car with a strap and his bare hands; too lazy to drive to his 'rents to pick up a real hoise LoL.

Back