302 head torque question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 head torque question

97 Expy 302

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
My shop manual says to torque the head bolts in two steps to 55#s and then torque the bolts an additional 90 degrees. I did that but now I'm wondering if that isn't excessive. I would have guessed a torque in the 80-90 ft-lb range. Could this have damaged the heads or block? Also if it is excessive do I need to get a new set of head gaskets?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, 55# then an additional 90° is the deal.

Unlike "old school" 302's, the later 5.0's use torque to yield head bolts.

Should I have put in new head gaskets when I put in the new bolts? I haven't done anything to the engine since installing the heads.

Should I have put in new head gaskets when I put in the new bolts? I haven't done anything to the engine since installing the heads.

Did you pull the heads? If so then yes, should have new gaskets. Worse, the Torque to Yield bolts are one time use and should be replaced if removed.

but it wont kill it if you do torque them to 80-90lbs. i reused my old bolts as well. i know there are going to be a few people that will say "it will cause problems" but it now has 40,000kms on it, has lived threw 3 brutal winters, and now i has had a supercharger on it for the last 2 years

Also remember to torque from the inside out like your trying to spread them out flat.

Start in the center and work out from the center to both sides in an even pattern.

Put in new bolts tonight. Judging by the feel they are definitely torque to yield.

Back