• Register Today It's free!

Theres a loud ticking from 5.0

slyfoxexplore

Reaction score
City, State
cheyenne wy
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 5.0 awd
well i started up truck and loud ticking almost knocking comes from engine. The wierd thing is when it gets warm the tickin is not as loud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lifter tick or exhaust leak ? Maybe the EGR pipe is cracked or it's a manifold leak...

what i thinks weird it kinda goes away when engine is warm and is there a egr pipe on 1996

+1 on the manifold gasket leak. My 66 Galaxie does that...noticibly quites down as it warms up.

I had the same problem! I new the exhaust manifolds are known to rot and leak. So I purchased Torque Monster headers and while taking the manifolds off, the pass side manifold was in two halfs held together with the metal "tinfoil" wrapping. I was surprised the exhaust noise wasnt louder!

I had the same problem! I new the exhaust manifolds are known to rot and leak. So I purchased Torque Monster headers and while taking the manifolds off, the pass side manifold was in two halfs held together with the metal "tinfoil" wrapping. I was surprised the exhaust noise wasnt louder!

Kinda like this-
it is very common.

attachment.php

There is a set of FMS headers for sale here
Expo 5.0 is selling them. They are what you need to fix this for the less $$

Torque Monster headers would be better-

Back