LED Headlight Bulbs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Headlight Bulbs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have a picture handy, but I'll get you one by tomorrow afternoon when I get off work. The LED bars are amazing, but the aftermarket LED headlight bulbs are garbage.

I saw a link on Facebook for this page that sold the LED bulbs for headlights, never saw them before so I was curious, because I love LED technology. The stats looked amazing, so many more lumens "guaranteed" than stock (Usually 2000-6000 lumens per set they say) and anywhere from 40-90 watts per bulb, which in LED watts, is ALOT.

I didn't really trust the Facebook link I saw as the page was setup really corny like the cheap HID kit sellers that want $19.99 shipped for HIDs. I found a seller on Amazon that had the bulb I needed for the 4th gen fogs, for $69 or $79 IIRC, marked on "sale" from a normal price is $299.

The listing said 4000 lumens, guaranteed twice as bright as OEM halogen, farther beam, etc. fan and ballast built right into the end of the bulb which I also liked. I wanted HIDs for the dogs, but was dreading another installation with more ballasts. So I opted to give them a try. 25,000+ hours rated use, guaranteed no flickering and such as well.

I ordered mine in mid-November, installed towards the end of November, drive with my headlights on for probably a couple hours per week (Maybe 5-10?) and just yesterday was driving to work, and the drivers side bulb started flickering then went out. Wouldn't turn on if I turned the fogs off and back on either. Later on leaving work, it worked again then shortly after, went out so its dead to me. Amazons return window is like 30 (or 60? Days) so of course I'm SOL now.

Brightness/beam: I have slightly tinted fogs to match my iron man headlights, so I knew that would cut down visibility. But when I got them, I put one in my one-good fog light and tried them (I had one housing missing the plastic so I was waiting on my new set to arrive) and the output was "decent" nothing brighter than OEM. The light seemed a bit more "even/smooth" but definitely not brighter, I don't think they were as bright as OEM but it had been a minute since I saw the stock fogs output.

With the tinted lens, the halogen bulb wasn't much darker, but the LED was dark as heck. Illuminated enough to be a puddle lamp basically at night entering/exiting my Explorer.

Another joyful part is the fact that you lose your FM reception when these are on, I confirmed it wasn't just me by searching and reading reviews from different brand led bulbs. I get crystal clear reception with fogs off, as soon as they come on, pure static.

I'm going back & fourth with Amazon right now about a special return since they are defective with so little time and they are letting me return them for a refund after they inspect them or something. Will definitely be going with a pair of HIDs.

Most hid kits reduce fm transmission as well. Surprised to hear that LEDs did that also. Very odd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never had any issues with reception though and I've ran HIDs in every car that hasn't came with them from the factory. With the LEDs, it's literally ZERO fm reception when they're on, not just a little interference. It's like a signal blocker lol. I'll have to post a video if I remember. And it's not just me, just about every review I've read (good or bad) mentions that they lose FM with them on.

Ok so, my buddy actually can get his hands on LEDs from these guys: http://lumenshid.com/xtreme.html

He'll let me try them and return them if I don't like them.
It's not that I don't believe everyone here, it's that I want to actually try them, and take pictures/post opinions on them.

So I'll try them later on, for now, halogen bulbs will do, lol.

First post here, and I'll get to an introduction of sorts later.

I have an 03 running 3 pairs of led bulbs. I think the company is JDM Astar our something similar. They're on amazon. Rated for 7000 lumens and give off roughly a 6k color (really white)

In my experience, it's the color wash effect like I got with hids that makes these seem not as bright at times. Just before sunset for example they seem to not do a whole lot. But if you get them in the dark of night there is no comparing halogen and led. HIDs seem a bit "throwier" meaning the light travels a bit further, but the leds are way less glarey to oncoming traffic. I have not noticed any of the static in the radio others have mentioned even while running the hi with lo. I do get some static from the led bar I have in my bumper, but only at specific frequencies. And while up here in NH we've had very little snow for us, we still have had a few storms. There is enough light to keep your lights clear. That was my biggest concern when trying these. No issues.

I'm not going to say these are good bad or other, just give my experience and you can go from there. I am ordering a set for the wifey's X as well.

Funny thing, on the Touareg forum owners are complaining that the factory HIDs aren't bright enough and they talk about installing LEDs.

I've been thinking of going to LEDs myself...I'll be following this and hope to hear good results!

hmm I have to say , I wanted to upgrade to LED and I have been watching vids and doing a little research , and I almost bought a kit , now after reading these posts I might have to do a little more research , but no one have mention the types of LED , the old SMD and the new CREE and COD , very different from your regular SMD , from what I have read and seen the new CREE and COD LED's are way brighter and better than HID , I myself had good luck with HID's with no problem what so ever , I guess I have to try LED myself and post the results !! :)

I love them! Nice and bright. And when it's a bit darker, light bar.

Anyone get a "check headlight" notification after installing the LED headlights?

I just put in a set of 80w in the Exploder, they are silly bright and give much better light than the halogens. The only complaint is the check headlight notification. Any suggestions?

Anyone get a "check headlight" notification after installing the LED headlights?

I just put in a set of 80w in the Exploder, they are silly bright and give much better light than the halogens. The only complaint is the check headlight notification. Any suggestions?

Not sure on how the system works, but the computer is not seeing the correct resistance, or amperage that it is expecting to see. So it trips the light, you might be able to get a load resistor to correct it, I know they have that to prevent rapid flashing turn signals, not so sure on the head lights.

Not sure on how the system works, but the computer is not seeing the correct resistance, or amperage that it is expecting to see. So it trips the light, you might be able to get a load resistor to correct it, I know they have that to prevent rapid flashing turn signals, not so sure on the head lights.

I was concernec because they were supposed to be "no error, resistor built in" lights. I returned them and went back to stock halogens. Light was an improvement, but not worth error mesages everytime i turned them on or flashed the high beams.

Late update, I just put factory HID projectors in. Honestly, nothing compares to a high quality projector.

I just bought set of rigid LED lights. Pretty much excited of installing and seeing the results. Hope its way better compared with my old HID projector kit.

Subbed to see the outcomes! I am looking to either go with hid or led headlights myself.

Back