• Register Today It's free!

Not Noob, ReNoob

branstrom

Reaction score
City, State
Pacifica, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Sorry, I have been away a long time...wow, life happened, and the wife took the truck. :p
Anyway, now our ultra-dependable '98 XLT is having an issue, so I came back to the best place for good reading and good advice.
If you get a chance, here is my latest puzzle (sorry, according to my better half):
The truck had an intermitten fluctuation with the idle. It loped occassionally, unreproduceable in any specific situation.
The weather just got really cold at night, for the SF Bay area, and the truck was REALLY rough to start first thing in the morning.
The truck has Plus 4 plugs, Jacobs Ultra wires, conical airintake (KKM?), Borla exhaust, 102K mi.
Also, does anyone recommend a shop manual besides Chilton? Not happy with it so far.
Thanks.
Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome back!

I can't really help with your engine symptoms, cause mines a '94. Is the CEL coming on. As far as another book the only one I know of is Haynes.

Try cleaning the IAC vavle:D

Acronym ingorant

Sorry, not up to speed on the acronyms.
CEL = check engine light? Yes, it is on. I don't have a code reader. :(
IAC = ??? Intake air control??
Thanks.
Derek

Yes, you are correct on your accronyms. If you get the codes read that will make things much much easier. I bought a code reader at Walmart for $20. Its worth it. If you get the codes read I gaurantee that the fantastic people on this site will pin point your problem/s.

If you have an autozone or other chain parts store near you, they may read the codes for free. Unfortunately, the code reader for '98 (OBD II) is A LOT more expensive than the first gen Ex's (OBD I).

Rough idle may be the Idle Air Control, or, if you have the SOHC V6, rough idle when cold is a symptom of bad Intake Manifold O-Rings. There is an extended warranty for them (as well as the timing chain/cam tensioners). If you have SOHC engine, search for 00M12 and 01M01 programs.

Back