Windshield washer pump problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield washer pump problem.

666k9

Reaction score
Hoping someone could help with this one. Have a 98 Explorer XLT (4dr/4x4/4.0)that I bought used and found the front windshield wiper washer pump line was connected into the rear washer line (it has the correct pump with two outlets) and works only with the rear pump/wiper switch). Hooked the lines up correctly, replaced the mutli-position switch (turn signal), and still still get no power to the pump using the multi-pos switch. I want to run a wire directly from the steering column wiring harness to the pump (feel I might have a broken wire somewhere) but do not know which wiring harness wire to use. Suggestions and/or or a wiring diagram??? Appreciate any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the relays in front of the washer reservoir.there in a black box.theres 3 relays. that was the problem with mine.

Indeed, it sounds like the relay is likely only working in one direction.

Checked the relays but no luck. Am trying to trace the problem through the wiring harness. Thanks for the input.

Checked the relays but no luck. Am trying to trace the problem through the wiring harness. Thanks for the input.

What do you mean by 'no luck?' There are two relays to check... One for the front and one for the rear. One should get power and close when it gets a signal from the MFS and one should get a signal to close when it gets a signal from the rear wiper control button. One relay acts as the ground path for the other relay.

Now, in your case, it sounds like someone re-plumbed the hoses to jimmy it and make it work. Not the right fix.

You need to pull the front and rear relays and check their function, as well as check for the proper signal coming to them from the switches. It could be a multifunction switch not working (not uncommon) or a bad relay. The easiest thing to try first would be to swap the front and rear wash relays and see if the problem moves from one to the other. If so, then we know you have a bad relay. If not, then it could be a wiring issue, or it could simply be the pump gone bad in one direction (not uncommon and a $30 part IIRC)

But telling us you 'checked' the relays doesn;t really tell us what you did...

AuxRelayBox1.gif

This relay box is near the air filter housing. It is not the Battery Junction Box, where the owner's manual tells you the relays are.

Try swapping the forward and reverse relays and see if that changes anything.

Figured that out, now when I open the lid all I see is one black cube and a bunch of plastic slots . . .

Thanks,

Carmen

Hey all, I figured out all by myself by RTFM ;)

Turns out the relay for the pump is in the main electrical junction for my explorer sport 2001. Switched the relays and now the front works, not the back. Will order a new relay soon.

I'm having a problem with my washers now too. rear seems to be working, which I assume means the pump is working? Going to check the relays this weekend and maybe swap them around.

The pressure for the front washers has been playing up for a while and was slowly getting less and less. This week - nothing. Took the unit apart ast night and checked the pump. It comes on when pushing the interior switch /button. I also blew through the hose and they also seem clear - wonder if there could be a hole in the line?

I had a similar issue. Turned out mine was corroded relays i cleaned those up with a fine sand paper and now all is working. Did this after replacing the pump mind you.

Thats good to know (but bad for you!)- thanks. Will take a look at the relays. From the threads I've read, they seem to be the culprit more often than not.

I'm having a similar issue with my windshield washer, when I press the MFS in with normal pressure it doesn't work until I put an enormous amount of pressure on it. Is my MFS going bad?

I just pulled the relays and switched them around. Back continues to wash fine buy nothing on the front washer. I also took apart the t-split which diverts to the two fron washers and tested to see if there are any blockages, nothing and no fluid got pumped through either. Looks like it the pump itself. Time to call and get a replacement. Anyone know a part number for it?

Thanks

I just pulled the relays and switched them around. Back continues to wash fine buy nothing on the front washer. I also took apart the t-split which diverts to the two fron washers and tested to see if there are any blockages, nothing and no fluid got pumped through either. Looks like it the pump itself. Time to call and get a replacement. Anyone know a part number for it?

Thanks

Check here at Rock Auto
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1304424,parttype,8840

Ah jeez, it was the relay after all and I even bought a new pump!

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd ask here rather than starting a new one and duplicating information. I'm having a similar problem (1999 Explorer Sport 4X4, 4.0 SOHC), except that I don't get any washer fluid sprayed either front or rear. Initially I found a blown fuse in the panel just inside the driver's door and replaced it (I don't remember which one anymore). When that didn't solve the problem, I tested power at the pump, no power when my wife pushed the MFS. After finding the image that TheJackel posted above, I got two new relays figuring that was the problem, and swapped them in for the washer pump relays (front and rear), but still the pump didn't work. I swapped the washer pump relays with the fog lamp relays (same P/N) as a test, and the fog lights still work but I'm still getting no pump function. Is there anything I missed, or anywhere else I should check? I'm really starting to pull my hair out on this one. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still haven't been able to make the washer pump work. Anyone have any ideas on whatever I might have missed? Using a spray bottle full of windshield fluid (what I'm doing now) is really not a good solution to all the road salt and other crap that cakes on my windows after it snows.

Back