2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L - surging acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L - surging acceleration

spg8204

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0L
Under light acceleration, the vehicle will surge forward. Basically feels like it's getting sudden extra fuel delivery, but not constant as it really tends to "jump" multiple times. Once up to speed, no problems. Accelerate hard and no problems, but if you are just trying to baby it through a parking lot, it will beat you to death. Not every time. If it is going to happen, it will happen with the first acceleration after you crank it and typically won't happen again the entire time that you have it running. Park, turn it off and get going again and all bets are off, you may very well be in for a beating! Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump. Before I give up and go away thinking I'm the only one who has ever had this problem...

Here you go, a tsb from ford.
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
06-17-13 CALIBRATION UPDATE 4.0L - VARIOUS SYMPTOMS - SURGE, HESITATION, TORQUE CONVERTER CYCLING, NO UP SHIFT AFTER A FORCED DOWNSHIFT, AND POOR A/C PERFORMANCE

Publication Date: August 22, 2006

FORD: 2006-2007 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer and 2007 Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine may exhibit a surge at steady speeds, transmission torque converter clutch cycling or hanging in a lower gear after a forced downshift during cruise control operation when operated in high ambient conditions. In addition, these vehicles may exhibit a cold hesitation/surge, engine fan noise and/or varying A/C discharge temperatures "ONLY" during low vehicle speed intermittently.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release B43.16 and higher or B44.8 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B44 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
061713A 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recal 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2006 Ford Motor Company

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

My gear shift light bulb is out, how do I fix it, thanks

There is a bulb in the bezel assembly, you would need to take console apart to service the bulb.

gear shift light

Thanks a lot, but if you dont mind telling me what is the bezel assembly, I dont mind openning up the console to fix the bulb, I'm not too familiar with some parts/names in vehicles, thanks :)

Thanks again swetrid for those details! emamaria, the bezel is like the finish trim that gets snapped in place over other things, but with a repair like this, I recommend going to a dealership.

Cory

Thanks again swetrid for those details! emamaria, the bezel is like the finish trim that gets snapped in place over other things, but with a repair like this, I recommend going to a dealership.

Cory

Really ? It takes one tool and all of about 30 seconds to take the console out to get access to the bulb. You would really recommend going to a dealer to pay $100 to get this done ?

Really ? It takes one tool and all of about 30 seconds to take the console out to get access to the bulb. You would really recommend going to a dealer to pay $100 to get this done ?
Yes, I recommend the dealership because they will have the specialized equipment to resolve the concern. They also have the most current engineering service information along with factory-trained technicians. The repair will also come with a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first).

Cory

You must have alot of Ford stock.

Is there anything for a 2006 V8?

My accelerator is very touchy when starting from a stop... if you barely touch the accelerator the vehicle jumps forward a bit.

Here you go, a tsb from ford.
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
06-17-13 CALIBRATION UPDATE 4.0L - VARIOUS SYMPTOMS - SURGE, HESITATION, TORQUE CONVERTER CYCLING, NO UP SHIFT AFTER A FORCED DOWNSHIFT, AND POOR A/C PERFORMANCE

Publication Date: August 22, 2006

FORD: 2006-2007 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer and 2007 Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine may exhibit a surge at steady speeds, transmission torque converter clutch cycling or hanging in a lower gear after a forced downshift during cruise control operation when operated in high ambient conditions. In addition, these vehicles may exhibit a cold hesitation/surge, engine fan noise and/or varying A/C discharge temperatures "ONLY" during low vehicle speed intermittently.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release B43.16 and higher or B44.8 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B44 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
061713A 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recal 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2006 Ford Motor Company

Is there anything for a 2006 V8?

My accelerator is very touchy when starting from a stop... if you barely touch the accelerator the vehicle jumps forward a bit.
I’m not a technician so I’m not allowed to guess what would cause that to happen, but please don’t hesitate to message me if you’d like help with taking it to a dealer.

Cory

This could also be a dirty throttle body. I just had mine cleaned, and the throttle response is much smoother at low speed. It used to jerk a bit when I got back on the gas after slowing down (but not stopping) like in traffic. It's kinda funny now, I start to cringe a little and nurse the gas pedal expecting it to happen, and it just doesn't anymore. It's nice - drives like it did when I first got it.

Well, I finally took it to the dealer to get the PCM programmed. Just picked it up and haven't noticed the jumping, but it wasn't an "always" thing anyway. However, as soon as I put it under heavy acceleration to get on the interstate, the A/C quit blowing from the front vents and started blowing from the defrost vents.

Before I insisted that they simply bring the PCM up to the latest code, they were wanting to replace the entire throttle body, told me that the TPS was integrated and couldn't be replaced separate. Also wanted to clean the fuel injectors, replace the fuel filter and told me that the air filter was dirty ($900+ dollars!). The air filter suggestion effectively told me not to trust them with any of the "diagnosis" because I change it every oil change. Confirmed after pick-up that the air filter was marginally dirty, not near needing replacement...

New question, same issue

Combining ideas from two threads, one I found that is A/C related and one about rough acceleration, is it possible that the overall issue is simply a vacuum leak?

Had an F150 one time that had a rough acceleration/idle issue that was related to a vacuum hose having a hole in it.

Any help greatly appreciated, I have confidence that the combined knowledge on this board will likely find me a quicker and cheaper solution than the dealer who appears to want to replace expensive parts until something works...

I just had my tranny rebuilt in March. It was jumping hard when I put the vehicle in reverse. Before I took it for the tranny I would notice some slight surging during acceleration...mainly coming out of a curve. I thought maybe that was part of the transmission issue but it was not cured during the tranny rebuild and its slightly worse.

I do not have any codes at the moment. Plugs were replaced by a relative who works on cars so I think I'm good there.

I saw someone mention a PCV valve on another thread? If anyone has a picture where this is located in an 06 explorer that would be great...as I'm a girl thats not afraid to check this out myself yet don't want to screw something up accidentally either.

I had my transmission rebuilt (unnecessarily it turns out) by a dealer. The bump was more noticeable afterward, but now after 30k miles or so, it seems to be better. I think maybe it just needed some breaking in or something.

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve mixes fresh air with blow-by gasses from the crankcase and recirculates it back to the intake manifold to reduce hydrocarbon emissions. It probably has nothing to do with the shift bump behavior. However, it is a relatively easy thing to replace if you have the 4.0 V6. The tricky part is that you can't see it at all, so you have to do it all by feel. It's on the backside of the left valve cover (you'd be looking straight at it from the drivers seat if you could see through the firewall). You just turn it counterclockwise and pull it out. That's the easy part. Putting it back in when you can't see the hole takes some patience and maybe some special words. The part is maybe $20 or $30 if I remember right. It's a fairly straight forward, lowish risk DIY auto project if you just want to get a little more intimate with your car, but there's very little that can actually go wrong with the PCV valve, and I don't think it will help the shift bump, so it's probably not worth messing with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Under light acceleration, the vehicle will surge forward. Basically feels like it's getting sudden extra fuel delivery, but not constant as it really tends to "jump" multiple times. Once up to speed, no problems. Accelerate hard and no problems, but if you are just trying to baby it through a parking lot, it will beat you to death. Not every time. If it is going to happen, it will happen with the first acceleration after you crank it and typically won't happen again the entire time that you have it running. Park, turn it off and get going again and all bets are off, you may very well be in for a beating! Any ideas?

Mine has done the same thing at times (couple months ago) when I 1st started up in the morning or after work. When it did this also I would have a touchy had pedal. Luckily it hasn't done this in the past few months.

Back