Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Hey guys,

Im looking at a 2004 Excursion to trade my F-250 in on.

I need to know what you think about the 6.0 engine. Im not looking to do any power upgrades but to keep it running. It was replaced and has 50,000 miles on it. The truck overall has 322,000. (Not sure about the transmission but will be checking on). It is a Eddie Bauer edition with all the nice things you would want. It was a company owned truck at one time.

What else on the excursions do I need to be looking for?

Thanks guys,
Burns

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked it over a little tonight but it was dark.

Im concerned about the 6.0. I love my 7.3 but it is not friendly to trips due to the xl model of truck line.

It seems to me that it can be a reliabel motor if you keep up with the maintenance

It seems to me that it can be a reliabel motor if you keep up with the maintenance

Biggest thing I hear is with the EGR bypass and stretching the head studs.

That is the word on the street. I guess with so many failures in the field it was easy to track down where the weak link is in the system. Basically it comes down to changing you oil often, your fuel filters often, and using the correct engine coolant. Then to make sure your components are not on the road to failure, get a scanner like the Edge Insight that will read your EOT and ECT and keep an eye on them. If the temps are varying too great between the two, one of them is failing.

So are you telling me that if I ever do get to purchase a diesel PU that I can't just put in Amsoil and leave it for a year like I do my other vehicles?

That is the word on the street. I guess with so many failures in the field it was easy to track down where the weak link is in the system. Basically it comes down to changing you oil often, your fuel filters often, and using the correct engine coolant. Then to make sure your components are not on the road to failure, get a scanner like the Edge Insight that will read your EOT and ECT and keep an eye on them. If the temps are varying too great between the two, one of them is failing.

From what I understand the EGR delete will help this issue with the coolant and running a non silicate coolant.

Let me know if u have any powerstroke questions Burns, I work on them all day long, and own 2 of them.

Matt

Let me know if u have any powerstroke questions Burns, I work on them all day long, and own 2 of them.

Matt

I have a question that you probably have an answer to if you work on them all day.... On my 2000 F-250 I replaced the ESOF hubs with Mile Marker manual hubs. I know I need to plug the vacuum line on the pump side, but if I just pull the hose off the hub side, will that allow water in? Do I need to plug that side too, or is it nothing to worry about?

Back