• Register Today It's free!

Clicking Noise in Front end

Frdxplrr

Reaction score
City, State
Green BAy, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 5.0 AWD
I own a '97 Exlorer, 5.0, AWD XLT. ok, I am getting a clicking metallic noise in my front end. I have replaced both hub assemblies over the past three years. This noise goes away when I put the truck in neutral and let it coast. It happens in reverse, also. It also is more pronounced when I turn. Could this be a CV Joint issue? Something in the transfer case? AWD not dissengaged? Ball Joints? I did check the U Joint and everything appears to be in good shape. I also greased the U Joint last night. Truck is still making noise. I have become somewhat of a 'do it yourselfer' over the years. If it is any of these issues, how difficult is it to repair/correct on your own? Thanks for all and any feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This may sound silly, I had a ticking noise on another vehicle, it was a small stick caught underneath the front end acting like a playing card stuck in the spokes of a bicycle tire. I doubt this is your problem since you have done a bunch of work up there but I wanted you to know the users of explorer forum do read and answer when we know the answer.

BTW if you want immediate professional help from the board then register. with your $20 you get to post into the 911 forum for quick professional help.

David

CV joints yes...and it's free advice...

This may sound silly, I had a ticking noise on another vehicle, it was a small stick caught underneath the front end acting like a playing card stuck in the spokes of a bicycle tire. I doubt this is your problem since you have done a bunch of work up there but I wanted you to know the users of explorer forum do read and answer when we know the answer.

David

Nothing silly about that. As a matter of fact, it was the first thing I thought of, actually. Thanks!

Sounds like a simmilar problem i had, turned out to be a bad bearing on drivers side. replaced them both just to be sure. $300 bucks installed at brakes plus, and they even gave me a free loaner while they did it!

If you decide on bearings dont take it to a dealer, they will take every last penny you have, because ford claims them to be nonreplaceable.

sounds like your cv/half shaft

Still Getting a Clicking sound up front

I have a loud metallic clicking/pinging sound coming from the front driver side of my 97 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD. Sounds like it's right under my feet. I took the advice from some of you on this forum and replaced the Halfshaft/CV Joint on the driver side (that was a real treat, I tell ya'!).It's still making the same sound. Again, I replaced both hubs (3 months ago driver side, and passenger side two years ago). I also checked the U-Joint and it seems fine...not loose or damaged. I also greased it. It's consistant with vehicle speed. It seems to dissappear in neurtal. IT also is more noticable when I turn corners. I'm getting nervous as I think this may be getting expensive (one more payment in April and she's all mine...go figure, eh?) and also I suspect it might now be a transfer case issue or tranny. ANy other thoughts?

Pull the front driveshaft and see if it still does it?

Pull the front driveshaft and see if it still does it?

Ok, I'll give that a shot. Couple things....is there any special tools involved to do this? Also, am I correct in thinking that if I disconnect the drive shaft, I can start the vehicle, throttle it and the truck won't move? I'm just thinkin'...AWD..I know that doesn't kick in unless it sense the vehicle slips. Finally, how would the clicking sound increase due to turning, if it's the Drive Shaft, as It's not really connected to any steering or suspension?

Thanks.

update.....re: clicking

I did notice when driving, I put the vehicle in neutral and when rolling to a stop at an intersection, the sound is still there, just alot more quiet. Further, when using an off ramp this AM, I was 'rolling' in neutral, while turning (it's curved), the metallic clicking/banging came back and is as pronounced as it I was in Drive or reverse. Again, I have elimnated the CV/half Shaft arm and Hubs. I replaced both hubs (passenger side three months ago, driver side, about 2 years ago) and put a new CV/half shaft last night.

When in drive & you let off the gas does it stop breifly then continue? Then does it get worse after coasting & you get back on the gas?

If so I will garantee it is the CV joint on the drive shaft (transfer case end)I mentioned in your other thread.

There is a rubber boot that will tear letting the grease to spin out as the drive shaft turns. You need to crawl under your Ex and feel the boot for tears.

If torn stick your finger in to where you can feel the CV. I'll put money on it that you feel no grease at all.

When in drive & you let off the gas does it stop breifly then continue? Then does it get worse after coasting & you get back on the gas?

If so I will garantee it is the CV joint on the drive shaft (transfer case end)I mentioned in your other thread.

Hey Dan, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. when I drive it, in forward, excellerating or at a constant speed (35 mph today on the way to work) it makes the noise. When I let off while in drive, it doesn't stop, but is less noticable. It does make a fluttering sound..obviously because of the speed. When I put it into Neutral, the sound dies way down...when I roll to a stop sign, I can hear it. I actually replaced the entire CV Joint/Half shaft assembly on the driver side where the noise is coming from, last night. It's still making noise. SO....

You can pull the front shaft and it will still drive fine. You may get a little better mileage. :D Just make sure you always use your e-brake because the truck will roll (even in Park) while on an incline with no shaft.

You can pull the front shaft and it will still drive fine. You may get a little better mileage. :D Just make sure you always use your e-brake because the truck will roll (even in Park) while on an incline with no shaft.

roger that! I'll let you know what happened.

Combining your threads into one.... Please don't post two threads on the same thing..

ok..Update...LAst night, with the vehicle up on a jack, I was able to grasp the front driver side tire and turn the front tires. No sound out of the ordinary. I checked the level of fluid in the transfer case, added some fresh Mercon to it. No change. In ny inexperienced opinion, and feel free to chime in...it's either an issue with the drive shaft (wasn't able to pull it last night..limited time) or my tranny. I am contemplating bringing it in to a shop, today. Currently, the vehicle has acquired a vibration, and now I get a sound (has become very loud and I liken it to a helicopter) when I go straight, it dies down or dissapears when I turn or come out of a turn, but then returns.

Ok, progress, but still not finished.......

..after taking a break from it on Saturday, I got after it today. While following the front Drive shaft down to the 'second transfer case,' I begin to inspect where the drive shaft comes into contact with the 'second driveshaft.' I notice, there are remains of a boot, and I can see silver inside....bearings. AHHH!!!! I was able to remove the drive shaft, took the truck for a ride...no noise! SO, I checked at Advanced auto and Autozone. The part needs to be ordered. I drove to Autozone to order it,.....the part is not available from the vendor. Went to Advanced Auto...same thing. Went to Checkers...they were closed. I am gonna call them, but am getting concerned that the part is no longer available. I gonna contact some junk yards, parts vendors,Checkers, and.....sigh...the local Ford Dealership and see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post it in the wanted forums. There is always someone with a used one for sale.

I know that NAPA has them. They run about $225 for a remanufatcured one.

Back