• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! Blower motor relay.

Reloader

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L
I have a 2001 Ranger 4.0 4WD. I keep blowing the relay fuse.... #2 slot in my interior fuse panel..... I have replaced the relay, the switch, the resistor pack and in desperation the blower motor itself. My volt meter (tested in the fuse slots) shows nothing abnormal in any switch position. Harnesses at the switch, motor, and resistor appear normal with no damage.

The weird thing is I have NEVER blown the fuse while the fan is running. Each blown fuse (four now) has blown either at engine shutoff or starting. I start the truck only find my fan not blowing..... again....

Im stumped. Any light anybody could shed on my predicament would be appreciated.

I have a 2001 Ranger 4.0 4WD. I keep blowing the relay fuse.... #2 slot in my interior fuse panel..... I have replaced the relay, the switch, the resistor pack and in desperation the blower motor itself. My volt meter (tested in the fuse slots) shows nothing abnormal in any switch position. Harnesses at the switch, motor, and resistor appear normal with no damage.

The weird thing is I have NEVER blown the fuse while the fan is running. Each blown fuse (four now) has blown either at engine shutoff or starting. I start the truck only find my fan not blowing..... again....

Im stumped. Any light anybody could shed on my predicament would be appreciated.

Unclear which fuse is blowing - the one for the blower circuit that is turned on by the relay, or the one that operates the relay? If it's the one that operates the relay, look for other things that go thru that fuse.

Figured it out!!!!

OK..... I observed that my short was actually ocurring by the simple act of shifting. I could repeat the short (and deplete my supply of ten amp fuses in the process). It would usually blow in N or when I got to D. I thougt at it first it was the something in the backup light circuit as that goes thru the #2 fuse... but I couldnt repeat the short at just R.

So..... apart comes my dash and instrument cluster. What I thought I would find is something rubbing against the rotating peices or some wire rubbing on that little gear indicator cable-ma-thingy.

Nope..... nothing.... nada.

In total frustration.... apart comes my steering column. Im really frustrated as its been in the high 90's and humid this week. Looking at each wire I find a wear spot on one of the O/D switch wires, close to the hazard switch. Wrapped the worn spot up thickly with elecrical tape.... put it all back together again, fired up the blower and ....... shifted about 30 times with no blown fuse.

Eureka!!!

Sorry... no pics as I was in a foul mood tearing my dash apart... but hopefully this will help somebody in the future doing a search on #2, blown fuse, shifting, blower motor.

Back