Taurus Sho wheels on Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Taurus Sho wheels on Explorer

Caraholic86

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer V-8 Ltd
I found some 20"x9 Taurus sho wheels on ebay and im trying to find out if they would fit on my 2006 Explorer. I know the bolt pattern is the same but im not sure about the center bore diameter. Has any one seen this done before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know if they fit or not

but here is a picture i was edited by photoshop for ford explorer with SHO wheels

i think it's not bad ,, but if you looking for 20 inch rims ,, i suggest this

it's look much better and look like wonderful

this with SHO

1318470853471.jpg

---------------

the other one

img_5153a_std.jpg

bye

Yea I really like the rims in the second picture but they are a little out of my price range right now. I found the sho rims on ebay for $600. I also like the alloy look of the sho rims, they're a little less shiny than the polished aluminum. But I don't want to have to modify anything to make the sho wheels work. Decisions, decisions!

Taurus is a front wheel drive it and a different bolt pattern so no it will not work on
the older (pre 2010) rwd full frame Explorer except maybe in the new Explorers since they are based on the fwd Taurus platform

the other one

img_5153a_std.jpg

That's my truck. Well, was my truck til I sold it a few weeks ago. Loved those wheels. They're the reason the Explorer caught my attention in the first place.

Had many compliments about them. Some guy even wondered if they'd fit on his Magnum.

Taurus is a front wheel drive it and a different bolt pattern so no it will not work on
the older (pre 2010) rwd full frame Explorer except maybe in the new Explorers since they are based on the fwd Taurus platform

The Taurus rims I found on ebay say they are 5x4.5 just like my explorer.

Sorry to bring back this old post but did you ever get those SHO wheels put on your Explorer?
i've been looking for the Adrenalin ones but those are way too expensive, so I'm also considering the SHO wheels.

Do the new 2011 Explorer 20" wheels fit on a 2010/older gen Explorer?

YEAR:2006
MAKE:Ford
MODEL:Explorer
Bolt Pattern:5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3mm High Positive Offset

Manufactured by: FORD
Manufactured for vehicle model/year:TAURUS 2010-2011
Rim size: 20X8, 5 LUGS ON 4.5" WITH 39MM OFFSET

So this means no?

2007 Explorer
Rim size is 17x7.5x44 (44 ist the ET)
Hub center diameter is 70.5 mm

So with 114 current offset, and 39 new offset. Spacers are needed....

Inner Clearance: 75 mm more (the inside of the wheel to the strut housing)
Outer Position: extend extra 75mm (position of the outside edge of the wheel)
75 millimeters = 2.95275591 inches
3 inch spacers.

114.3 (4.5 inch) is not the offset, it's the bolt circle diameter!
The rim offset (ET) of a 2006 Explorer is 44 mm. Compared to the new offset of 39 mm it's nearly the same. The wheels will come out a few milimeters. No need for spacers.

Picture shows 17" wheel of 2007 Explorer:
10437563tf.jpg

I use the 16" rims of a 2nd generation Explorer.
Compared to the original 17" rims which came with my 2007 Eddie Bauer (17 x 7.5 x 44) they have an offset of 12 mm.
They come out nearly 30 mm more than normal at each side.

The lower the offset (ET) is, the more the wheel comes out.

Picture shows 2007 Explorer with 2nd generation Explorer 16" steel spare rims (ET = 12 mm). 255/70/16
10437583yl.jpg

More information here:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f122/offset-backspace-how-do-they-relate-260418/

10437522zr.jpg

I'm so confused...do the current Taurus 20" rims fit a 2010 Explorer....

No, because the center bore diameter of a Taurus is 63.9mm.
That's the hole in the middle of the rim.
The Explorer's center bore diameter is 70.5mm.

The bolt pattern, also known as the lug pattern or bolt circle, makes up the diameter of an imaginary circle passing through the wheel lugs' centers.
Bolt patterns found in Ford automobiles can be made of four, five, six, or eight bolt holes.
A 5-x-115-mm bolt pattern, for example, would indicate five bolt holes, each 115 mm apart.

OK so no on the Taurus. Here is the 2012 Explorer OEM data:
Does this mean yes on the new Explorer's?

Hub Bore: 70.6 Rim Width: 8.5
Rim Brand: Factory, OEM Rim Diameter: 20
Core Charge: 1,200 Number of Bolts: 5
Rim Structure: One Piece Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3

Im a newbie and trying to find the answers on my own but am throwing in the towel. Does anyone know if a Ford Edge wheel will work on a 2003 Explorer?....and look roughly the same in terms of offset and such. My current wheel is stamped 16 x 7 JX 44. I assume that means 44 mm offset. The Edge wheel is 15 x 7.5 JJ 44. .5 inch wider, same offset. No idea about the diameter of the center bore. Please help. You can find these wheels all over ebay for good prices. They look good and will really make the Explorer stand out.

thanks!

Edge wheel will fit, but has a smaller diameter of 15".

The edge wheels I found are 18". And the tire size is perfect for the explorer. 245/60, I think. If it works, this may be a great upgrade without a lot of money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back