Replacing rear turn signal light bulb on 2005 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing rear turn signal light bulb on 2005 XLT?

Am_Dew

Reaction score
City, State
Somehere in Northern CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
2005 Explorer XLT

I noticed that my right blinker started blinking very fast the other day (blinking fast inside the vehicle, on the instrument panel when I turn on the right turn signal). I checked my turn lights and found that the right (passenger) side turn light is not working. I guess the fast blinking is to let you know that there is a problem somewhere--I've never heard of such a feature.

Does anyone know what it takes to replace the bulb in a rear tail light on a 2005 XLT? I opened the hatch and could not see anything that would obviously allow removal of the large tail light assembly. I did see one black screw that does not appear to hold anything in place, but I did not have a screwdriver with me at the time, so I am wondering if removing that screw will allow the tail light to come out?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get an Owners Guide with your Ex? If so, look in the index under 'bulbs'.

Did you get an Owners Guide with your Ex? If so, look in the index under 'bulbs'.

Yes, I did and will check it tonite. I guess I should give Ford more credit...I just assumed replacement instructions would not be in the Owner's Guide. We'll see... :)

open the hatch, there are two srews that hold he entire light in. Remove the two screws and voila. There are two bulbs just remove the bulb you want to replace and you are set. Its actually pretty easy. Good luck, let me know if you get stuck.

Thanks Danny. You're right about there being two screws. I did not see the 2nd one when I quickly looked at it the other day.

open the hatch, there are two srews that hold he entire light in. Remove the two screws and voila. There are two bulbs just remove the bulb you want to replace and you are set. Its actually pretty easy. Good luck, let me know if you get stuck.

Exactly!

I agree - check the owners manual to be sure that you replace your turn/brake light bulbs with the correct ones. I have a 2005 Explorer - the left turn/ brake light stopped working / only worked intermittently. I tried everything short of a repair shop. Finally I checked the owners manual and low and behold someone had replaced the factory bulbs (3157K) with a (3057K). Physically they appear to be identical, but when I installed the correct bulbs my problem went away. They must be electrically different.

Oh, in case you are wondering, it wasn't me. I am an electrical engineering student and mechanical design/fabricator (read as no dummy). We bought the vehicle used and my guess is that the (3057k) bulbs almost work, but road vibration etc makes them unreliable. Since switching bulbs I have had no further problems.

I agree - check the owners manual to be sure that you replace your turn/brake light bulbs with the correct ones. I have a 2005 Explorer - the left turn/ brake light stopped working / only worked intermittently. I tried everything short of a repair shop. Finally I checked the owners manual and low and behold someone had replaced the factory bulbs (3157K) with a (3057K). Physically they appear to be identical, but when I installed the correct bulbs my problem went away. They must be electrically different.

Oh, in case you are wondering, it wasn't me. I am an electrical engineering student and mechanical design/fabricator (read as no dummy). We bought the vehicle used and my guess is that the (3057k) bulbs almost work, but road vibration etc makes them unreliable. Since switching bulbs I have had no further problems.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You have to check the date of the posts you are replying to. This thread is 5 years old and pretty dead.

Don't get me wrong, we appreciate your advice and are glad you are willing to help out other forum members.

I have gotten caught in the dead thread net before too.

Hope you enjoy Explorer Forum as much as I do. :biggthump

Back