ABS pulsing at low speeds (LT 10MPH) on dry pavement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS pulsing at low speeds (LT 10MPH) on dry pavement

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
2002 ranger 4.0L 4wd 178,000 miles

I can feel the ABS system activating and pulsing the pedal at low speeds (<10MPH) on dry pavement

It usually happens when turning into parking spots and you are about to come to complete stop the pedal pulsates and to be honest has almost made me hop the curb a few times because of the increased stopping distance.

I am assuming it is one of the front wheel speed sensors on the front hubs, however I do not have the ABS light on in the dash for any trouble codes.

usually when the wheel sensors fail they activate a trouble code in the dash and disable the ABS system. So this has me thinking that maybe my wheel bearings are going and the metal debris from the bearing is fouling up the sensor?

what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

Changed both front wheel sensors. Abs still pulses but now only when stopping with the wheels turned to the left????

I had this issue, all I had to do was clean the sensor off and clean out the disk things. They get mud in the holes

Fixed update

Turns out it was a bad front left wheel hub assembly

Thanks for posting the resolution to your problem. This may help others diagnose a similar problem.

Rust causing new ABS sensors to pulse on dry pavement

Had new front ABS sensors installed due to ABS light and ABS not working.
After replacement ABS then pulsed at slow dry stops. Took it back and complained and mechanic said things get rusty and it is probably rust causing the pulsing. Hubby gave him the "stink eye" and he took it apart and cleaned up the rust and now it works fine.

Back