• Register Today It's free!

Slip yoke 2000 Ranger Auto 2wd

faco

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0
I have been chasing a vibration in the seat of my pants/rear end of the truck that starts around 55mph.

The shop that put my new tires on say I have a bent rim. I rotated the tires and still does the same, but, although having "the bent rim" in the front now, I feel no shake on the steering wheel. I think the shop is just full of it and I do not want to go and buy rims. I will put the spare on there just to see, in the meantime.............

I got under the truck and everything is turning good with no grinding. However, there is a little slop on the slip yoke that comes out of the auto tranny.

This is a one piece aluminum drive shaft. Extended Cab. Does the slip yoke needs to be greased? or does the tranny fluid takes care of that.

I am going to go ahead and change the u-joints.

Any thoughts?

update: I took the truck to another Gerald's Tires - one in North Charleston, different from the one that installed the tires and told me (twice) I had a bent rim, and the tech told me that ALL my tires were way out of balance. Now she runs smooth. I still want to know about the play in the yoke slip.....anyone?

Trans fluid does not get into the slip yoke. You can pull back the boot and inspect. It should have a good coat of grease on the splines, but add some if it doesn't.

What kind of movement do you have on the output yoke. Is it in and out, or up and down?

Thanks Bill.

It is more of an up/down. I was trying to check the u joints when I noticed. I thought it could be the ujoint, but I am not certain

You said you got new tires... I bought a set of Michelins a couple of years back and my truck vibrated after I bought them, and it was because a couple of the tires were out of round.

Jack each corner of your truck up one at a time and spin the tire with a toolbox or something similar set really close to the tire's tread and check to see if your tires are running true. You can also set up some sort of stationary pointer on the outer flange of your rims and see if they're running true.

Back