Fuel pump relay/rap module fuse keeps blowing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump relay/rap module fuse keeps blowing

altranger

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
My 99 ford ranger 3.0L keeps blowing the fuel pump relay/rap module fuse. I replaced the fuel pump relay and then the fuel pump/sensing unit. The truck will start up and idle just fine. However when I go to put the truck into gear(automatic) the engine will die and I find the fuel pump relay/rap module fuse is again blown. At times I am even able to drive the truck a few feet before the engine dies and again a blown fuel pump relay/rap module fuse. I initially suspected either faulty fuel pump relay and then thought the fuel pump was failing thus I replaced both. Now I am at a loss at what to check next. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I would start looking for a wire that's grounding out...:dunno:

start at the fuel pump and move to the engine bay ( trace the wires you my friend have a SHORT some where

I'm Having the same issue, let me know if you track it down, I'll do the same:splat:

fuel pump relay and rap mod.

im having same deal? un plugged fuel pump and it stopped blowing the fuse,
so i stuck it on my lift and dropped the tank replaced the pump and fuel filter ,cause it was their lol and same darn thing ! blown fuse 20 amp under the hood
looked at wiring and plug in ,nothing,so than i i traced the wires under the driver door into the floor ,to under the seat and up to the dash ,nothing !
so now what ?? I'm not the greatest with wires but this RAP mod, is driving me nuts,some kind of security thing ? this truck has no power any thing ,1998 ford ranger ,2 wd??any 1 out their know anything about this problem ,or any way to bypass this deal, thank u

Broadway Auto, did you find a solution to this problem. Just started experiencing the smae thing.

I'm having the same issue with my 2000 Explorer XLT w/5.0 liter engine...I've replaced the fuel pump a while back, but noticed that just before this happened, the fuel gauge stopped working.

1998 Ford Explorer Keeps blowing #9 RAP/Fuel fuse.

My 1998 Explorer Sport had a failing transmission.
Let it sit for a year, tried starting it, battery dead, took it in, tested bad, replaced free of charge (Bosch battery).

Put in the new battery, crank but no start condition. Fuel pressure is zero. I can get the car to start by spraying start spray thru the throttle.

Checked inertia switch, it's pushed down. When I unplug the inertia switch, fuse does not blow. When I bypass inertia switch with jumper, fuse blows, figured it would but why not try.

I have switch out relays, which I hear don't cause fuses to blow anyway.

I have read a lot of these conditions, but have only read one guy finding a short near the gas tank.

My big question is, can a locked fuel pump cause the fuel pump fuse to blow every time the car is cranked to attempt to start?

I have heard of people replacing fuel pump, just to hear it didn't solve there problem.

I would like to get a recommendation of a good mechanic here in San Diego that can solve my problem.

Thanks.

Back