Rear Panel Re Install... Looking to avoid rear panel crack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Panel Re Install... Looking to avoid rear panel crack

SUL73NAZ

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I took off my rear panel off of the hatch to re adhere it to the glass/hatch. What all does everyone recommend to use to re adhere it back to the glass/hatch? I am reading that RTV Silicon or Double Sided Tape (why not both?) work well. I am looking to avoid it cracking (I know that is a problem for 3rd gens). Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would only use the double sided tape. The reason the panels cracks is because the glue contracts and expands with the temperature, so using glue is defeating the whole reason you are redoing it.

Is that what everyone else is using? Also I hear the RTV sealant flexes (unlike liquid nail, epoxy, glue). How is everyone prepping the surface? I was shocked to see the window runs down the entire length of that panel! I am getting all the old glue off and washing the area. Then wiping down with rubbing alcohol. Thanks for the replies in advance.

The issue is caused because the glue is too rigid, and the glass expands/contracts at a greater rate than the plastic. I used black roofing silicon to reattach mine and it hasnt cracked yet. Double sided tape does have some give so should be ok but I'd recommend using the silicon.

*EDIT - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3049712#post3049712

Posted this a few weeks after I did mine. 2 years later still no cracking.
Good luck :)

Thanks for the input everyone. My panel is the original one that it came with. I have never had the crack. I ended up using 3M "molding" double sided adhesive (it's a tape from my local auto paint supply store) I will see how it holds up. Thanks guys!.

Back