Tire Styles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Styles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still cannot decide what tire I'm going with, I looked at the dueler at2 revo's and I do like them, but the cooper at3's are nice too. After calculating some finances I will not be buying the Duratrac's do to their high price, but at the same time I'll be able to purchase them late October, so I may just go with a less expensive option to get me through then. Anyone have experience with Mastercraft Mt's? I just lifted my truck with 2.25F and 1.75R BTF spacers so these 255/70/16's have to go ASAP.

952FDCDF-6693-4F0E-9B00-A5CA047D5CB3_zpsvpncd6dz.jpg

If your going the pricey tire in Oct I'd go with Ronin's retreads in the interim.

I'm in a similar boat at the moment. Really dig the mickey thompson range or the coopers.

I need to start saving :D

Here's another two cents; I've been running Mickey Thompson Baja STZs in 265/70/17 for almost 2 years now. They were only $170 each and have been great tires on the road, offroad, and on snowy roads. They are quiet and ride really nice. Balanced very easily also.

I recommend the Cooper AT3 for city/highway driving, and some off road use. They are a great all terrain and I have yet to get stuck in snow or mud with them.

I got them in a 245/75r16

775030_10151282695469221_1416705860_o.jpg

I got them through Discount Tire in January 2013 for 116 a piece, all 4 mounted and balanced out the door for 588. I went back in December last year and got a 5th for my spare for the same price.

I just put a set of 265/65/17 Kumho KL 61s on mine - they're an AT pattern and are good on the highway, not noisy, and supposed to be good off road (haven't quite got there yet).

So just an update because I haven't visited the site of a few days, I really appreciate everyone's input. I ordered a set of 265/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's I got a deal on. Hopefully they do me as good as they did Ronin8002 . I did, (mostly for entertainment) test fit a 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grappler, and needless to say I would've had to do some trimming. I may save up and do a set of 285/70r16 trail grapplers this winter if I can convince the other half to let me spend $1000 on tires (wish me luck). Thanks again for everyone's input as you all helped me choose wisely. Will update with pics tomorrow night when I leave the shop.
derek

78316B9B-4C4F-4B4D-A938-8365C8EFC3E7_zpskoskpv2r.jpg

Thanks again everybody, inputs/reviews are ALL greatly appreciated
Derek

Looks great, hope you enjoy them as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Just noticed you're in Fredericksburg; you should come out the next time we run the trails at GW National Forest. Couple of us drive right thru Fredericksburg on our way out there. :thumbsup:

Just noticed you're in Fredericksburg; you should come out the next time we run the trails at GW National Forest. Couple of us drive right thru Fredericksburg on our way out there. :thumbsup:

That'd be great! Just let me know when. I actually bought my BTF spacers from Will (wills05xlt4x4) in Ashland. It was cool to see someone else with an Ex in person considering EVERY one I see around here is bone stock.

I got the same wheels XD ENDURO

I'm planning to get some 285's with 3" body lift and front rancho quick lift,
you thing will be good clearance ? or maybe add some 1-1-2/2' wheel spacer ?

I'm planning to get some 285's with 3" body lift and front rancho quick lift,
you thing will be good clearance ? or maybe add some 1-1-2/2' wheel spacer ?

If they're going on your stock wheels i am pretty sure you will have to do a wheel spacer. not because of tire to fender clearance but because the 285 is wide enough to rub on the steering knuckle if you don't push it out from the hub some.

THANKS for the info

I already have XD SERIES XD122 ENDURO 16x8 0mm offset and I'll get 285's tires this month, some one says that will fit just with wheel spacers others says that needs strunts spacers ? I don't want to add the strunt spacers cuz also will need the UCA's and the traveling will be less than the normal , So I was thinking that maybe rancho quick lift that adds 1-1/2' will be great instead that strunt spacer 2-1/2" . Thanks any way I'll post the pics when is done.

If they're going on your stock wheels i am pretty sure you will have to do a wheel spacer. not because of tire to fender clearance but because the 285 is wide enough to rub on the steering knuckle if you don't push it out from the hub some.

Back