Cowl grille rivet replacement options. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cowl grille rivet replacement options.

Jose A.

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
(dead link)

the dreaded cowl grille rivets :eek:

the catch: you have to buy a rivet setter tool.

anybody done any mods in this area? I want a removable cowl grille. Yes, screws, but what size and type?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a few packs of black plastic license plate screws from Autozone. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-25q1?itemIdentifier=562425&_requestid=755494

I have to go there and I'll check them, but where do those nuts go??

The bolts are used without the nuts. It's recommended to use a metal screw first to make the thread before you use the plastic screws. They are fragile, and break easily if you try to force them in.

got it, thanks for the explanation.

Here in Washington we have a place called Wesco Autobody http://wescopbe.com/. They have a complete lint of fasteners including nylon replacement rivets and other options. google or check your phone book for autobody paint and supply for an auto body shop near you. T

thanks for the link, I wanted to get away from those rivets, so I used plastic anchors and screws to be able to remove the cowl grille whenever it needs cleaning or any service to the wiper motor.

Has the AeroStar always used the funky rivets to hold the Cowl in place? My Haynes or Chilton manual also mentions removing screws.

I found that a #8 sheetmetal screw and Tinnerman nuts would work for some of the locations, but not all. I'm looking for a method of getting insert nuts in to the other holes.

I've been looking for a solution for years, still haven't found one.

So far the best solution that I've found is to use flat head # 14 X 1" sheet metal screws. I have them on my 1988 & 1995 vans. I have a special paint marker which is black, and has durable ink to be used outdoors. This will help protect the screws from the elements to prevent rust.

Back