Replaced Driver Side Front Wheel Hub, Still Hear Noise, HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Driver Side Front Wheel Hub, Still Hear Noise, HELP

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
Today, I replaced the driver side front wheel hub. I was hearing a humming noise, sounded like this was the problem. After changing it, I still hear the same noise.

What would be the next place to look?
Sucks to buy a part that i didnt need:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm also hearing a whine. I also purchased a wheel bearing/hub but didn't replace it after close inspection of both of mine. I can't find anything wrong either. Maybe it's the nature of the beast?

Art

I have no idea but I also noticed my front tires are both worn a lot more on the inside of each tire

Change the other side bearing. Mine was loud a few years back. I would have sworn it was the left front. It turned out to be BOTH. But, the right front was worse than the left front.

In 262K miles, I've had 9 wheel bearings put in my '02 Explorer. I've had various and sundry noises or symptoms. I can tell you that you can drive thousands of miles with a bad one, but it will cup the front tires if it's on the front, and make horrendous noises if it's on the back.
I have also had them with no play until everything is disconnected and the hub ready to come off. Those are some big bearings with relatively small rolling elements. Until they are ready to fall out, there may not be much play at any time.
One way I could determine which one on the front was bad was by listening when going around a curve hard (accelerate around). When going around a left hand turn, if it makes more noticable noise, then the passenger side is to blame. When turning right, then drivers side. More force on outside tire. Most of my noise has been low frequency growl.

I'll check out the right side one, and see if it needs replaced too. Is there any chance that it could be a rear one?
Thanks a lot guys.

I had an abs light and the 4x4 high flash. I suspected it to be the front drivers wheel hub, so I changed it, still got the noise. Now, the abs light it always on, but no flashing 4x4 high. I am going to get the code read soon, I may have to replace the other front wheel hub.

What brand hub did you buy/install? BTW it could deffinately be one of the rears. These trucks are notorious for front and rear bearing issues. I have 90k on mine and have repalce all 4 bearing once already and the fronts need to be done again.

I used a duralast(timken were out of stock at all autozone in town)

Today when I was backing out of a parking spot with the wheel turned left, it felt like it was binding. Or something I wonder if this has anything to do with the humming noise I have?
I am going to read the code for the abs today, and see if it tells me passenger bearing or not.
Could it be my tires making the noise? They are cambered negatively, so the bottom is further out than the top.

Little update, I checked the right front wheel hub, and I get a noise when pulling or hitting it at 12, 3, and 9. I then checked the right rear, I don't get any play when pulling on it, but when I spin it, it seems to be loose, not spinning smoothly. And the left rear can not be turned.
The abs light is only on sometimes, I don't think there is an abs sensor on the rear wheels, so I think it may be the right front, since I have already changed the left front.
This is becoming very frustrating, any ideas what's wrong? Again I am getting a sort of humming noise while driving. It starts when the car moves, and becomes louder with the speed of the car. One day i would hear a different noise when only turning the wheel slightly right, the next day this went away on its own but the humming continued.

In 262K miles, I've had 9 wheel bearings put in my '02 Explorer. I've had various and sundry noises or symptoms. I can tell you that you can drive thousands of miles with a bad one, but it will cup the front tires if it's on the front, and make horrendous noises if it's on the back.
I have also had them with no play until everything is disconnected and the hub ready to come off. Those are some big bearings with relatively small rolling elements. Until they are ready to fall out, there may not be much play at any time.
One way I could determine which one on the front was bad was by listening when going around a curve hard (accelerate around). When going around a left hand turn, if it makes more noticable noise, then the passenger side is to blame. When turning right, then drivers side. More force on outside tire. Most of my noise has been low frequency growl.

The front wheels are cupped on the inside, since I already replaced te driver side, and sometimes have the abs/flashing 4x4 I am leaning towards it being the passenger front. Is there anywhere to et the abs code read for free? And does te abs light have to be on to get the code? Because mine is on about half the time.

I thought I had a bearing going out on the drivers side, after having a passenger in the car they said it was undoubtedly the passenger side. Have a second person try and pin point where they hear the noise coming from.

You said they tires are worn... it is possible the tires are humming. I thought I had another bearing going out, as it was a similar sound, it ended up being the tires.

it could be the tires, but the fact that the abs light is on at times, makes me think it is the other bearing. There are three speed sensors on it 1 at the rear and two on each of the front wheels.

Sorry to revive an older post, but I am getting some noise from the front tires from around 35 mph to 70 mph. (humms) I just had my tires replaced and a 4 wheel alignment. The mechanic told me that everything looks and feels tight still. I have about 120k on my 2007 Ford Explorer Limited V8. I tried turning the wheel from left to right at various speeds to make the humming sound get worse, but it did no change all that much. I actually drove my vehicle with this problem from NJ to SC and back and the sound did not increase or get worse. I did try to move the wheel slightly left to right while traveling at 75 mph and although the sound was audibly lower at that speed, I did feel changes and slight vibrations in the steering wheel. I can feel those vibrations at all speeds that I can hear the humm as well.
This all came on after I purchased new tires after putting a few hundred miles on them. The truck does not pull at all and tire pressure is correct.
Not sure what to check , but I will look at the wheel bearings first.
Any other ideas?

Back