Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help!

93RangerPLSHelp

Reaction score
City, State
york pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ranger
:roll:Here is what has happened with it so far http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423729

I am switching shifts at work and need my truck, since I will no longer be able to catch a ride in.

It starts, and idles fairly rough. Sometimes, if I feather the throttle and get it just right, I can rev the engine up. Other times, when I try to rev, it acts like it wants to stall/sputters. If I get it revved up and try to let out the clutch, most times it will stall. Occasionally, it will actually let it move but not very well.

It has been sitting for a little while because of the issues and not being able to get right to them....
could this be stale gas?
too much moisture in the gas?

I honestly do not know whats up and I really need to get my truck back on the road ASAP

Any help, tips, suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump. Please, any help is appreciated

No codes right now. I will clean the maf and see if it helps. I have no idea how old the plugs and wires are. I was thinking about putting new plugs on the passenger side (easy to get too) and see if it makes a difference

Check the grounding strap on the front Driver's side of the block, just behind/under the PS pump area... I'm assuming the 93 2.3 is laid out like my 97 2.3... Should be a strand of copper braid coming from the block to the cradle or frame. Mine rattled its way loose a while ago, and killed the truck while I was driving.

As for it cutting off when you try to let the clutch out and move, the engine will twist a little bit in response to the torque (especially if your motor mounts are 22 years old), and it might be juuuust enough to break contact with ground and disconnect your ignition system from ground.

I didn't see in your other thread or in here: Does it die just letting the clutch out with the transmission in neutral?

Is there a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail? Your symptoms all but scream low fuel pressure from either a clogged fuel filter or a failing fuel pump.

I know the fuel pump was replaced. I will grab a new fuel filter, and definitely check the ground strap. If its in neutral then I can let the clutch out with no ill effect.

I have had no luck finding a grounding strap, but I did clean the MAF. Found the fuel filter and it looks like it is going to.be a nightmare haha. Any tips?

Any help with the grounding strap or fuel filter would be greatly appreciated. Finally got some good weather, so I am hoping to bang this out and be back on the road

As it stands, I have been at work since 7am, even though I am working noon to 8! Hahaha

Also, from what I can see, there is not a port of the fuel rail. So, swapping out the fuel filter ought to be exciting haha

It sounds like lack of fuel, vacuum leak, or stuck open EGR valve.

I think there should be a Schrader valve on the fuel rail, but if there isn't you can just pull the fuel pump relay and run it until it stalls to relieve the fuel pressure.

It ran fine before I had the initial problem and replaced the battery and altrnator. It took a little while with the weather and was sitting for awhile. I found and fixed one vacuum leak and havent spotted any others. I grabbed a new fuel filter and will throw that on tomorrow morning if weather permits. Is there a way to check the egr?

Fuel filter swapped out. Was acting much the same, and then after a few starts it seems to be idling much better, but still cut out on me.

Does this sound like the egr? Is there a way to test it? Can I clean this one out and save it or do I need to drop the $90 on a new one?

Bump. I feel like I am very close to having it back up and running all help to this point and any help getting it finished is beyond appreciated!

I had forgot all about it, since I couldn't find it. The only thing that could remotely look similar is mounted to the side of my throttle body right next to the egr. Is that the placement of the iac on the 93 2.3L?

should I/can I clean the egr in a similar fashion?

Ok, I will try and get the iac off and cleaned tonight before I leave work. Then I can test it in the mornong amd clean egr.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back