cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi there,
(and yes i've searched)

I've lost my ignition key...what are my options. I do have the anti-theft chip, however i never lock my doors as the locks no longer work...lol

To be honest i almost never drive the truck, i'd be happy if there was a way to hook up a remote start or start button....sigh...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there,
(and yes i've searched)

I've lost my ignition key...what are my options. I do have the anti-theft chip, however i never lock my doors as the locks no longer work...lol

To be honest i almost never drive the truck, i'd be happy if there was a way to hook up a remote start or start button....sigh...

I think you are SOL without your key. Pretty sure you would need a whole new ignition tumbler, etc.

You will need two new keys cut to the original key code (if you have the little tag that came with them) or two new keys with a new ignition tumbler and the door/tailgate tumblers keyed to match, as well as a locksmith or dealer to install the ignition tumbler and reprogram the new ones to the PATS module.... In other words: This one is gonna suck.

Good luck!

I don't think there is anything special about getting a key cut.... just take off a lock from the door or tail gate ... which ever you find easier.... any lock smith that does autos (most good ones) can match a key to an existing tumbler / lock ... once its in his hands. The problem is that you will need to get them programmed. That programming might need at least one "original key"... but I doubt it although a dealer might tell you other wise for $$$ reasons maybe. The programmability is / has to be done thru a "special enabled scanner" that again most "good" locksmith have but do charge a "bit" but a bit less than the dealer.... my experience BUT I have heard of some "good" dealers that are competitive in the "key market" so call around.

If it's a proper PATS programming-capable system it will not require any special keys. Be sure they delete the old keys from the system as well. Two pre-programmed and working keys (not necessarily the originals) are necessary for an owner to program a third (or more), but when using the scanner/programmer, it makes no difference.

Back