Rear Suspension Toe Link Ball Joint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Toe Link Ball Joint

jhumbertoap

Reaction score
City, State
Painted Post, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello everyone,

My 2002 Explorer feels "funny" when driving in the highway; it changes direction slightly for no reason.

I recently replaced the rear bearing, and noticed that I could move the rear wheels side to side resulting in a very loud clunky noise. Then I noticed that both toe link-ball joints were shot, but I can't find the replacement online.

Any direction will be appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear toe link

Try Rockauto.com, look under suspension and then rear suspension toe link. i replaced mine, but don't recall part #. easy to do, just make sure the new one is adjusted the same length as old. good luck

I just looked at RockAuto, and could not find toe link, or suspension rear.

Cany you affer nay insight as to were else to look?

This has been discussed many times. Dealer only item and back ordered at this time. Good luck and godspeed.

Newer Toe Links

I lucked out, my '02 Explorer used the newer 17mm stud, picked up two new toe links at the local Ford dealer yesterday, back on the road today.

Everyone gets lucky once in while!

I lucked out, my '02 Explorer used the newer 17mm stud, picked up two new toe links at the local Ford dealer yesterday, back on the road today.

Everyone gets lucky once in while!

How did you determine this? was it from the build date? Or did you have the old one in your hand?

I tried the VIN number decoder, and could not get a date.

So I used a pickle fork to 'pull' the old one out just far enough to slide a box wrench over the shaft, 17mm fint 15mm did not. Broke out my excel spred sheet, my reverse polid notation calulator and figured it must be a 17,, shaft.

Only took aout 20 minutes.

Three phone calls later I had two toe links reserved.

To let everyone know. The different sizes are based on before or after build date of 3/4/02.

Just called the dealer.. $186 bucks for this stupid rod. I hate independent suspension.

Heres the part https://www.silverstatefordparts.com/oem-ford-parts.html thats for the 03 explorer which I believe is the same 03-05 and the 02 is different according to Silver State Ford but just put your year in the search parts thing also your VIN when you go to checkout they'll make sure you have everything right. Apparently it is backordered but they should be back in stock within a week or so its annoying how theres no aftermarket part for this. My toe link is so badly worn its creaking and has a ton of play which I'm getting worried about.

In Stock

Paul Harvey Ford in Indianpolis has 3 of the 17mm (Late model 02 - 05) left in stock. $166 but at leat I'm back on the road.

One of my friends works at a Ford dealer and got me a great deal. The whole thing out to 110. Regularly the piece is 166+ tax what a rip off if you ask me it's just a bar with a tie rod end.

I also need to replace at least one of these in my 02 Explorer. Is there any reason why these wouldn't work? It's super cheap, so I'm not sure.

Moog Rear Sway Bar Link - Direct OE Replacement
2002-2005 Ford Explorer at

http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog/?N=0&uts=true&Ntt=2005+Ford+Explorer+Moog+Sway+Bar+Link

Not quite the same part. It is riduculos. Ford puts a ****y part in the X and then does not supply its replacement for months... Just unacceptable. My X handles like crap and I don't have a solution because f$#$#$# manufacturer does not want to supply the F%^#%$$% part... Sorry for venting... but this is one more bad experience with Ford...

I just visited the local dealer, and the guy seemed to enjoy my frustration... what kind of service is that?

I've owned VW's and Nissans... much better customer service, not to mention much better reliability... guess what's going to be my next car?

The rears are adjustable and from the looks of it you might be able to buy just the tie rod end, not 100%, unless body side is whats worn out. Anyone try and see if the Fronts would work? They look similar but size might be different, they do work on the same principle, you might get lucky, fronts look cheap too?? :dunno: But i would have to take it in to a parts store and compare . . .

The rears are adjustable and from the looks of it you might be able to buy just the tie rod end, not 100%, unless body side is whats worn out. Anyone try and see if the Fronts would work? They look similar but size might be different, they do work on the same principle, you might get lucky, fronts look cheap too?? :dunno: But i would have to take it in to a parts store and compare . . .

Thanks for the advice... the tie rod end is the one worn out, so I may have to try something like that... I bet it's not going to be easy braking that tie rod loose at the end of the bar (salt and rust don't help), but I have to try it!

Last year i brought my 2002 explorer to tires plus i had them replaced my rear springs because i failed PA safety inspection so they installed quick struts but ever since then everytime i hit a small or big bump i hear this loud tap in my rear im thinking its the Toe Link's because the rubber cover on the ball joint on the toe link's is torn badly on both sides the quick struts look fine . never had this tap befor when my spring were broken i guess because i got it repaired now i hear it now . i always look at the rear end only thing i see wrong is that toe link everything else looks fine.

Toe link Moog Part #s

So I fig out that moog has both inner, and outer toe link parts.
Inner link part # ES800560
Outer link part # ES800651
Just ordered them from my local auto prts store. Hope this clears up having to pay out the @ss at the stealer ship! :salute:

Did the tie rod work on the rear lower?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back