1994 Ranger - Engine light & lost power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ranger - Engine light & lost power

Bennel

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
My 1994 Ranger will run a few minutes before the engine light comes on and it either stalls, sputters, or stalls. It always will start back up and sometimes the truck returns to running normal while other times the engine light stays on.

Have replace plugs and wires and cleaned mass air flow.
Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions as to what the issue might be.
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
I moved your thread into the ranger section.

First thing, can you tell us which engine you have? 2.3, 3.0, or 4.0? Have you checked for codes?

I apologize for my ignorance, but not sure what the engine size is. If you can direct me, I will see if I can determine the engine.
I have taken it to a shop, and they said they could not tell anything from the codes. I am not confident in the diagnosis or lack there of from this shop.

A bit more information to share. It is a 6 cyl, 4.0. I replaced the temperature sensor and the temp gauge began working where it had been barely moving off of C. It now moves about 25%. The truck now runs about 20 minutes whereas before it would go 5 to 10 minutes at most. However, the engine light came on after about 20 minutes of running and the engine stalled. It start right back up, light off and continued to run.

Appreciate any additional thoughts. Maybe faulty thermostat

Also, checked the codes. It came back 111 or all checks out OK.

Back