• Register Today It's free!

Transmission concerns

Daveb88

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hello, I have searched the threads for about 2 hours and found nothing related to my concerns (but if there are please redirect me to them). I got my '94 explorer less than a year ago so I do not know what all has been worked on recently or needs work. ATF is clean and full, not sure about the filter or any wear in the trans. I am concerned about my truck because I have been driving it for months with it shifting roughly and suddenly one day driving home I experienced a large loss of power going up hill so I opened the throttle (pedal to the floor) and the truck suddenly jerked harder than ever before so I pulled.off the road to be safe. When I continued my drive home it was shifting smoothly and had better power with lower rpms and I've been getting about +1.5 mpg since. I am worried that this may be a sign my tranny is going out? Please help, I cannot afford a mechanic right now and the one I know doesn't touch transmissions. If you need more info just let me know.

From the symptoms you are describing sounds like a intermittent m.a.f sensor failure..scope the output voltage from m.a.f to p.c.m signal .record an event and when your vehicle acts up save it..you will see poor performance on the replay if it is indeed the m.a.f sensor.if cherry scope the fuel pump you will see a worn out pump immediately in the waveform..please burn some rubber will ya !

Back