will U-haul rent to a montaineer?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will U-haul rent to a montaineer??

WannaXP8

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I was wondering if they would rent to a mountaineer, and if they would know the difference if I said I have a moutaineer and then picked it up with the explorer, and if they say no, they are going to the better business bureo(sp?) for discrimantion, cause every weekend in the summer I pull a 19 foot boat with no problems, and all I need the trailer for is to put three 4 wheelers on to tow it to the dunes this summer...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wouldn't think so. most people are obvilous to the fact that a mounty and expo are pratically the same.
its worth a try.

Originally posted by EliteConcept
i wouldn't think so. most people are obvilous to the fact that a mounty and expo are pratically the same.
its worth a try.

You can reserve on U-haul's website if you enter in your vehicle as a Mercury Mountaineer.

what would happen if we rented it under my friends truck, went and picked it up with his truck and then pulled it with my explorer? would I get in trouble? What could happen?

Ok so I'm missing something here! U-haul officially wont rent trailers to Explorer owners!? Now I'm kind of pissed and confused 'cause I rented a tow dollie from the local U-haul without a problem but they're independantly owned, ie. its Orion rental and they rent u-hauls there. So what the crap then with U-haul!! What is their reasoning? :mad:

Originally posted by WannaXP8
what would happen if we rented it under my friends truck, went and picked it up with his truck and then pulled it with my explorer? would I get in trouble? What could happen?
I was thinking something similiar. I thought it would be funny if some X owners that have a F150 or 250 would go pick up a car hauler with their pickup and return with the X towing the F250, just to "drop by" and clarify some issues before their long "trip".

I read a story about a guy who went to pick up a super duty with an IH Scout and car hauler. The salesman was like we'll wait why you put the scout on the trailer and he was like no, I'm putting the Ford on the trailer.

ok guys I read the post about this and I'm making a few phone calls this is ridiculous! Lets see what we can do!

Better read the uhaul contract. It wouldnt suprise me to find that you have no coverage and may be responsible for any & every thing if you switch towing vehs. & persons towing.
It might be considered FRAUD.

I wouldn't try to switch vehicles, although I have done it once on a trailer rental since his 5-speed 4-cylinder Ranger was having a hard time with the trailer, so I hooked it up the Mountaineer since the '97's only engine is a V8.

Try reserving one online with a Mountaineer. The last time I checked I can rent using a Mountaineer, but not an Explorer, but I wasn't sure if I could actually pick it up.

i rented a 15 foot truck from budget 2 years ago, with a trailer to tow my x. it had all 4 wheels off the ground. the funny thing was, the trailer was only raited for 4000 pounds i think, but budget said they were ok for my 4 door 96 x. so i did it, and no problems. i think budget was cheaper also. you guys should look into budget and see if they still do it for x's

most local "Rent-All" type places have car haulers. They don't care what you drove there as long as they get the $

I my self have found that u-haul is a crazy company to deal with, I work part time for a repair shop and independnt u-haul rental center and all I endup doing is pulling my hair out trying to deal with them and I have no idea why you can still rent a trailer for a Mountaineer but not the exploer. Only thing I can think of is the big wigs in corporate don't know that they are the same truck. if I hear any more from the u-haul side I will let you guys know. As for the other big rental companys I have heard that they will only let you tow their trailers with there trucks nothing else but i don't know for sure

Back