• Register Today It's free!

need to remove fan clutch assy...

jaygecko

Reaction score
City, State
tampa florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 ranger splash
i need to remove the fan clutch from the water pump so i can finish changing the water pump on my 94 4.0 ranger. i am in the middle of changing the complete cooling system as well as trying to get an efan on to replace my broken plastic stock fan.

im trying to work on the truck and im running into the same problem i ran into last time and couldnt change...i cant get the fan clutch and fan off of the waterpump pully on my 94 4.0.

i went to autozone and they gave me the removal tool set which happened to contain the 5 pieces that didnt fit my application, so i went back to them and they gave me the "correct" kit which only contained 2 wrenches.

and going by the pictures in th ehaynes manual, it looks like one wrench fits over the bolts on the pulley pump to keep that from turning, but the other damn wrench in the kit is still too big for the large nut (now im not sure if some one else filed this wrench to fit their application since it looks like the edges have been worn back to the silver metal and its too big for that nut.

i tried an adjustable wrench but i dont have one that opens up large enough to fit over the nut. does anyone know what size that nut is that holds the fan clutch to the water pump?

or any methods of how else i can get the damn thing off of the truck so i can go about finishing the work?

thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by jaygecko
does anyone know what size that nut is that holds the fan clutch to the water pump?

or any methods of how else i can get the damn thing off of the truck so i can go about finishing the work?
According to this, http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/ , it's 1-7/16". Read through the write-up and see if it offers a tip that might be useful to you.

Good luck.

thanks.
that did confirm my thought about how i was supposed to hold the pump and stop it from turning, but im going to have to see if my luck will bebetter or at least have some descent assistance at the autoparts store getting the right set of loaner tools now. might just buy them instead so i never have to rent them again tho.

I too rented/borrorwed the fan clutch tool from Autozone for our '92.

The big wrench that hold the pump from turning (the one that kinda grabs 2 bolts) was spread out. I just took out my trusty coarse adjustment tool (e.g. my 2.5 lbs sledge) and whacked the wrench until it fit tight on those 2 bolts that it grabs.

I was then able to get the fan clutch off...

BUT, I have since found a much better way to do it (I'm even going to add the tool to my toolbox)... Basically, it is just the wrench part that goes on the shaft behind the clutch... that is kind bent at a 45 degree angle... This is so I can put the end into an air hammer (i've also done it with my coarse adjustment tool). When you hit the trigger (or hit it with the sledge) it pops right off... I couldnt' belive how easy it was to do...

I have even used the rental too from autozone this way (I didn't have the "neat" tool yet).. I just put the one piece behind the water pump, and set it at an angle that I could put a big combo wrench on the end (open end just sat on the autozone part) and whacked it.. It took a couple wacks, but it came right off...

~Mark

I already have threee of these bolts off the clutch and all the bolts off all the assembly. I just want the clutch off. How do I hold the clutch still without breaking it?

I had the same problem with my 90' F-150. What I did is a little unorthodox. I bought a 2" adjustable wrench and fitted it on the nut. I then braced it on the body, and cranked my engine. I did not turn it over, just did a quick little start. It loosed the bolt enough to remove it. Like I said it seemed crazy at the time and I still get the apprehensive thinking about it, but it worked. Use this one at your owe discretion.

If you get the right water pump pulley and fan clutch nut wrenches it comes off just fine. Get a caliper and measure the sizes you need then cobble together the wrenches from different loaner kits if you have to. I remember reading about a guy trying to bump the engine over with a breaker bar on there and he sliced his hand open. I don't remember which thread but I definitely remember seeing it.

A pry bar will hold the pulley bolts.

An adjustable Crescent wrench will fit on the nut.

fan clucth

i have a maco tool kit which the wrench fits into airhammer and you don't anything to hold engine. kit come with all sizes of wrenchs to fit fans, i have found one fits all.

i have a maco tool kit which the wrench fits into airhammer and you don't anything to hold engine. kit come with all sizes of wrenchs to fit fans, i have found one fits all.

I got to use a Snap-on one that sounds like that.. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.. it worked so well.

~Mark

oh man, i got to do the same thing to my 91 explorer, funny thing is that now the only way im going to get this done is by getting the loaner tool, just hope my truck don't over heat on the way there.

I removed the belt and used a strap wrench and large adjustable wrench... Worked great

I fought with mine, it won.
I bought the ford tool. $100.00

Too bad shipping is so expensive, id be happy to lend it around.

O'reilly sells the Performance Tool wrench, it's the same one as Ford. $20... :) Return the Ford one and get the cheaper one. Info is in my rad thread. Just stick a prybar between two water pump pulley bolts.

P1000777.jpg

P1000776.jpg

The wrench set is $17 on amazon.com, free shipping if you find $8 more stuff you want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KEJXGE

The wrench and hammer method is a great idea... I have a big crecent wrench and a big hammer, it would have worked, probably easier.

I got in a jam for a tool also on a BMW job but just took a piece of scrap 1/4" flat bar, cut the 32mm (1 1/4") hex into it and welded it onto an old never used handle. Cost: $0
Homemadeclutchfantool.jpg

Measure the hex on your new fan clutch so you KNOW what size tool to buy/borrow/make.

O'Reilly auto parts (and maybe Checker/Schucks/Kragen) sells the Performance Tool version for $19.99 + tax, a good option if you need one ASAP.

Advance Auto Parts used to sell the Performance Tool version, but now sells it as their Autocraft house brand (Part # AC660) for ~$24.99. Keep in mind their warranty seems to allow for in-store exchange, which is pretty good when it comes to hand tools. You have to send back most others to the manufacturer. There are also plenty of online coupons for advanceautoparts.com, and you can buy online with coupons and pick up at your local store. I bought both the tool and the Dorman 9-blade radiator fan, and with a $10 off coupon it was less than buying the tool itself. Pretty good deal.

Fan Clutch Removal Help

hoping you guys can help if you can remember...

which way do you turn the nut to remove the fan clutch on 93 explorer?

I just looked it up on Mitchell on demand. Says clockwise while looking at it from front of vechichle. Is that correct?

Unfortunetly, I looked this up after trying, could i have damaged it in trying to remove it in the wrong direction??

Thank you for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back